Moody 40 (late 90s early 00s) 42 cc compared to 425/422

Jon Connell

Temporary Member
Hello World, I too have similar questions to Greg Gianforcaro. My wife and I are about years two out from purchasing and are looking for all the information I can find on Moody 42cc on line I see general reviews but no specific comparison of the 42cc to 425, which look the same to me. My wife and I have toured a 422 so we have a general feel for the boat, and we have a tour of a 42 cc next week. Sailboatdata.com doesn't have any information on the 42cc. Are there other sites I should be look at? My concerns with the 425 being a bit older is chain plate and other hard to find expensive to fix issues, not that new 42cc wouldn't have such issues. I look forward to reading your replies.

the 46 is also on my list, but my wife is concerned about single handing a 46, any thoughts single handing a 42 cc vs 46?

I have a 42 and there is no problem sailing single handed. You do however generally need assistance when docking as its not easy to reach a shore cleat from the cockpit.

You can compare the internal layout using

I consider the internal layout is better in the 42. My wife consider the heads much better as the shower is separate.

Regards

Duncan

Hi,

There is no doubt that the 42 has a more modern feel than the 425 - she is a newer design and features a smaller genoa and larger (I think) main, reducing the work involved in tacking.

However, published handicaps show that the M425 is the better performer under sail of the designs.

The M422, for me, fails on one of the basic layout tests for a serious offshore yacht - there should be access to the chart table, the galley and the heads from the companion way, without passing any bunks. If not, in foul weather, the crew on watch will tramp past the bunks in dripping foul weather gear rendering the bunks wet and therefore uncomfortable. On the M422, the aft heads is accessible only through the aft cabin and the forward heads only through the saloon. The Lee saloon berth is probably the best on the boat when under way.

Peter.

Last edited:
Duncan thank for the link, very helpful indeed.
Peter, I came to the same conclusions about m422, but had different reasons.

Has any one add a cutter or solent rig to the m422, m425, m42cc? Think of foul weather and the furling headsail make me wonder about a storm jib.

Is the hull designed reduce pounding? I think the entry and bell look good, but I haven't sailed a Moody yet. I appreciate the help of the arm chair sailor.

Hi Jon,

While no boat is entirely free of pounding, the M422 / 425 hull shape pounds less than most more modern boats with large flat areas forward. Her entry is not as fine as a 1960's Kin Holman boat, but much finer than the majority of yachts being built today - she's a long way short of a straight stem, with a decent forward overhang.

I find pounding is worse in a fairly short sea where the wavelength is more or less equal to the length of the yacht so, as you crest one wave you slam straight into the face of the next one. Iin longer swells a yacht tends to sail up one side and down the other with a fairly gentle transformation at the peaks and troughs so, while I have little experience of ocean cruising, I don't imagine pounding is a particular problem in that context.

It would be fairly straightforward to convert a 425 to a cutter rig, with the inner forestay running from the upper spreaders down to the deck at the bulkhead between the cable locker and the forecabin where te bulkhead will give extra strength. However, this would require running backstays and make tacking the big genoa more complicated. Rather simpler would be to fit a demountable inner forestay from near the top of the mast (hence no runners required) to the same point on the deck to allow a storm jib to be flown with the genoa rolled away. When not in use, such a stay, (possibly in Dyneema?) can be stowed alongside a shroud, leaving the foredeck clear to tack the genoa. Such a stay could also fly a blade jib for use in strong winds which don't require a storm sail.

The mast on the M425 has a luff groove for a trysail, but I've never seen it used.

Hopefully, someone who has done this will be along soon to tell us how well these concepts work in practice.

Peter.

I had the inner forestay but have just removed it whilst replacing standing rigging. The elimination of running backstays & difficult genoa tacking is a delight. As Peter says, a viable option is a dyneema stay to the masthead that can be deployed for a stormsail. However, anything up to force 5 or 6 is easily handled with a fully reefed genoa. For winds above 40 knots I would be concerned about the furling gear which would be the only reason I would want to rig a storm jib.

Thank you both for your comments which confirms what I've been reading/watching. A removable Dyneema Stay seems a cost effective, safe, and least complex solution. Thanks for the note about the Luff groove, I hadn't seen that.

Back