• Have you included your external contact details on this post? Please include your email address and or phone number on your post otherwise non MOA members will not be able to reply to you

For Sale Asymmetrical Spinnaker (free)

Marc Smith

Marc Smith
Boat name
FOOL'S ERRAND
Berth
Deale MD
Boat type
Moody 376
Cruising area
Chesapeake Bay
Hey folks. I took this spin on trade for some canvas work. it is too small for my 376. it does have a small 6" tear that has been repaired using sticky-back ripstop nylon.

luff 45.5'
foot 24.5'
leech 41.25'

It is not "crispy and fresh" It was originally on a J 34c no snuffer, no sheets, just a sail with a cylindrical launch bag.
it got some life left in it. would be ideal for someone just trying to see if they want to try flying a chute.

Free to a good home. I'll get a pic of the repair.

the down side. Yeah I'm across the pond in the colonies... and shipping stuff across the pond isn't cheap anymore. if iured it offer up to the group first and then Facebook next..

Attachments

• 67743624942__E18013B5-330A-4253-B025-314883E4A971.jpg
    67743624942__E18013B5-330A-4253-B025-314883E4A971.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 147
Hi, I am also across..but across the channel, not the pond...am looking for some Sort of spi...so I would be very Happy to be the Lucky one

How would It fit my M35?

Thanks in avance
Ibon

Last edited:
Ibon

i think the driving force behind the spi is the forestay length, i height and luff of the sail
rolly tasker has a nice spreadsheet of sorts that maps out their ready made spins

looking at the rolly tasker sail site. based on your forestay length, you'd want one of their size 7 all purpose asym. which has a luff of 13.9m (45.6) leech 12.67 (41.56) foot 6.95 (22.8)

which puts this spin in that ballpark foot is a smidge long though...

if you want to chat in email or pm. no problems. smith.marcj@verizon.net and we can discuss the logistics.

Last edited:
Marc

I wanted to reply to this thread to give you a BIG THANKS for all the hassle you have taken for packing and shipping the sail overseas completely for free and even putting the freight money upfront.

This things really makes this MOA special.

regards
Ibon

It was a pleasure, Sometimes you have to give back and do the right thing... It is amazing how small a sail and pack down into...

Well Marc.....after having spent all August sailing from East to West the northern Spain several times, "NBJS" with no real need to stop anywhere as I just wanted to sail...I CAN'T THANK YOU ENOUGH!
I have really enjoyed your kind present, and even though I did try to get some action pics so I could post them in the MOA Forum, I failed to land my throne on the boat so I lost all the footage.

But I did take some pics in Gijón Marina, at least to show how nicely your Spi fits Maqroll.

IMG_20230820_151621.jpgIMG_20230820_151554.jpgIMG_20230820_151545.jpgIMG_20230820_151513.jpgIMG_20230820_151438.jpg

I really love the way it sails and the way it fits the boat.

woo hoo.... it looks great

Hi Marc
I’m currently on the lookout for an Asymmetrical Spinnaker for my M38cc.. I’m interested to know what size fits your boat? I’m guessing it will be very similar dimensions for the 38?.
Thanks in advance
Ash

Ash. My dumpster find spin is too big...if I was racing I’d take a huge time penalty. My luff is 55’ leach 49 foot 26

Rolly tasker sails says rule of thumb is the luff should be just about the same length as that mast is high above the deck if you want to fly the sail near the level of the pulpit. Or taking the measurement from the spinnaker hoist to where you want your tack of the sail to be. Then multiply that by 1.03

So if I wanted to fly my spin from the bow of my boat , So by that math my luff should be 50.8. Then if you want a snuffer,. You’d need to subtract a couple feet for that, and if you decided to wanted to fly it at the level of your pulpit then take away another couple feet...

I fly mine using an atn tacker and it’s right about the level of the pulpit. If I had the space where I could loft the sail, Id try to cut about 4-5’ wide midsection out of the sail to get the luff to a better length. This would allow me to carry the sail at higher angles with out the luff collapsing.

I may try tacking the sail closer to theanchor roller, but then I run the risk of the sail fouling on the pulpit and anchor...

I have also thought about Using my whisker pole as a prod. But that just more string in the way more rigging and more stuff.... so for now I fly it as it is. If you look at the pics, especially the side shots. The sail looks almost comically large for the boat...

One thing I have thought about but haven’t tried is flying the sail backwards. It will bring luff length to a respectable 49’. But not sure I’d be able to really get any control over the leech as it would have a tremendous amount of twist...might be worth a go though...
3E947B3D-FBF7-4CD3-85DE-3BB3B02025E5.jpeg
5E1A7121-69F8-4723-8717-C247AB7E231C.png
FBAB8D8E-4619-43A5-B437-DA5035CDD750.jpeg

Last edited:
Hi Marc

Thank you for such a detailed and clear explanation,

I will certainly use your information when calculating dimensions.

There’s a lot of hype about the use of customs roller systems for asymmetric’s however my limited experience hasn’t been particularly positive. My initial thoughts are to revert to a sock,

I sail single handed so therefore looking for easiest method of handling.

I take it you use a sock? if so, is it easy to deploy and retrieve?

Ash

I have a sock/snuffer. Much easier than dealing with the spinnaker solo.

I think a top down furler would be much easier but I’ve seen plenty images of an hourglassed spinnaker.

I’ve flown the spin solo. It can be exciting. The challenge is de powering the spin and then pulling the sock down quick enough to not flog the spin. And then lowering the sock and keeping it on deck

So it is a multi step process. I’ve not timed myself but it feels like it takes a few minutes from start to finish. To get it on deck and the other few minutes to get it stuffed in the bag.

if I was going to run down wind for a short time I’d just pole out the Genoa.

Back