For Sale Breaking Volvo Penta 2003T with 7 deg down angle gearbox.

David Robb

David Robb
Boat name
GRUFFALO
Berth
Ardrossan
Boat type
Moody Eclipse 33
Cruising area
Clyde
Breaking above engine, will send parts by courier at cost. Reconditioned turbo, 3-5 hours running, cost of reconditioning £950.

Engine is very smokey but starts on the key. Would push eclipse 33 at 7knts at 2500rpm.

Gearbox splines show signs of wear.

Also this was a new replacement engine, fitted 2002/2003.

Parts sold,
Injectors
Engine control panel
Timing cover
Oil cooler
Gearbox

DavieRobb@hotmail.com

0777 0066 760

Last edited:

Christopher Turner

Christopher Turner
Boat name
SANGUINE
Berth
Ramsgate
Boat type
Moody 336
Cruising area
Channel/East Coast
Does the gearbox have the spline mod? If so I might be interested in that part..
Chris

David Robb

David Robb
Boat name
GRUFFALO
Berth
Ardrossan
Boat type
Moody Eclipse 33
Cruising area
Clyde
Does the gearbox have the spline mod? If so I might be interested in that part..
Chris
We've only had the boat for a year and have no idea of its previous history so don't know if the spline mod has been applied. I'm guessing it hasn't as there appears to be significant wear on the splines, sorry should have mentioned this before.

Last edited:

Ian Anthoney

Ian Anthoney
Boat name
IDLEHORSE
Berth
Dartmouth,Devon
Boat type
Moody 336
Cruising area
South Coast,
Breaking above engine, will send parts by courier at cost. Reconditioned turbo, 3-5 hours running, cost of reconditioning £950.

Engine is very smokey but starts on the key. Would push eclipse 33 at 7knts at 2500rpm.

Also this was a new replacement engine, fitted 2002/2003.

Parts sold,
Injectors
Engine control panel

DavieRobb@hotmail.com

0777 0066 760
hi david is it fresh water cooled?

thanks

Ian

David Robb

David Robb
Boat name
GRUFFALO
Berth
Ardrossan
Boat type
Moody Eclipse 33
Cruising area
Clyde
hi david is it fresh water cooled?

thanks

Ian
Ian, it is fresh water cooled and fitted with heat exchanger in good condition. It was recently dismantled and cleaned.

Ian Anthoney

Ian Anthoney
Boat name
IDLEHORSE
Berth
Dartmouth,Devon
Boat type
Moody 336
Cruising area
South Coast,
Ian, it is fresh water cooled and fitted with heat exchanger in good condition. It was recently dismantled and cleaned.
Thanks David, I’m toying with converting my 2003 to fresh water cooled ! I know there was a kit you could get so should be possible? If I can get a list of the parts needed and you have them we might have a possible deal for them

Kind regards
Ian

David Robb

David Robb
Boat name
GRUFFALO
Berth
Ardrossan
Boat type
Moody Eclipse 33
Cruising area
Clyde
Ian, we own our boat as part of a syndicate, John who is breaking the engine should be able to identify all the parts you need. I've asked him for a price. We can send pictures back and forth to make sure you're getting all the parts you need.

Ville Steudle

Ville Steudle
Temporary Member
Note that the 2003 "optional fresh water cooling add-on kit" and the factory-installed fresh water cooling installed on the 2003T are slightly different, so have a thorough look at the Volvo drawings. This might be related to the oil cooler, which the T has but the non-T does not.

To my understanding, one important item is to make sure that the push-style seals in the pipework can all be properly clamped and held in place.

Mark Cady

Mark Cady
Boat name
BLUE MOON
Berth
Wareham
Boat type
Moody Eclipse 33
Cruising area
Poole South Coast
Chris,
this might help, I have a 2003 raw water cooled. I have thought of modifying but cannot see much advantage of the doing the work on a 30 year old engine. I do have the full parts catalogue if you need any more info. Also page from workshop manual.

Mark

Attachments

Ville Steudle

Ville Steudle
Temporary Member
And for some further technical information from a different perspective, here is the page and manual (unfortunately only in Swedish) for the Martec retro-fit 3rd party solution:
Martec fresh water cooling for 2003

From the photos, one can see the used attachment points for coolant circulation.
Martec typically used the approach of install rubber hoses over the Volvo pipes.
(Note that the Martec solution is otherwise somewhat different due to the use of an electric circulation pump, not engine-driven like Volvo.)

Generally, while retrofitting fresh water cooling does not make an engine younger, it
a) allows for a slightly better operation point, i.e. higher temperature (thus the need for a thermostat, I think part 43 in Mark's diagram) and
b) makes winterizing the block a bit easier, as the thermostat is not in the way for draining/flushing (as the engine block circuit runs with coolant).

Peter Wright

Peter Wright
Boat name
WILD THYME
Berth
Suffolk Yacht Harbour
Boat type
Moody 425
Cruising area
North Sea, English Channel, Biscay
Hi,

Personally, if an engine has been run as raw water cooled for any significant time, I see little benefit in converting to fresh water. All the cast iron parts will be well impregnated with salt by now, so corrosion will proceed at much the same rate. The only slight benefit you may get is hotter water in the calorifier.

Peter.

David Robb

David Robb
Boat name
GRUFFALO
Berth
Ardrossan
Boat type
Moody Eclipse 33
Cruising area
Clyde
Gearbox now sold