Moody 27 Buying my 1st boat advice needed

• Thread starter Timothy Kineavy
  • Start date
T

Timothy Kineavy

Hi All
So I’m going to make the commitment and get my first boat. Hopefully the Moody 27. Going to need a survey carried out and would appreciate any contacts we may have on here to help. Boat will be on south cost Hastings area.
It would be helpful if anyone who knows those boats (bilge keel) has anything to say. I will also be looking for a competent sailor who would be interested in accompanying me /teaching me a few day at mutual convenience, I’m happy to pay . Boat would be in Chichester harbour.
Looking forward to reading any advice you may have to give to a novice at this point in his sailing journey
kind regards
Tim

Tim - take a look a bit further down in this section (earlier posts) - there are a couple of threads on 27 and 28 that you will find interesting
Good luck

Thanks. Didn’t see any info regarding someone to survey or move it ?

Tim, a couple of names that regularly come up when asked about surveys are:

I think John Cherry used to work for Moody and I have used Duncan Saunders twice for surveys.

For a delivery skipper I would send a message to Atoll (Alex Bond) on CF. He has spent a life time sailing and delivering yachts. He is Falmouth based but that shouldn't be a problem. Spent a few days helping him deliver a Macwester 26 a while back, unfortunately I don't have his number.

That’s a help thanks for you time

Alex bond on CF ? What’s CF

Ok scrap that question . Just answered it myself

Hi Timothy,

Before choosing a surveyor, it's worth identifying where the yacht you're thinking of buying is situated. Otherwise, you could easily end up spending as much on travel time and expenses for the surveyor as you spend on the survey itself.

There are good yacht surveyors in most corners of the UK and obviously more in those corners where there are more yachts.

As for delivery, I always favour delivering yachts on their own bottom rather than on a lorry. Why would you miss a chance of a longer passage. Many delivery skippers are happy to take the owner along for the ride (personally, I would worry about one who refused) so this could be a major learning experience for you.

While we're all stuck at home, may be a great opportunity for you to crunch through an on line RYA navigation course to help you understand what people do with a hand bearing compass, a chart, a protractor and a pencil (or a plotter for the techies). That would be a significant step ahead.

Peter.

Hi Peter
Thanks for your reply. I have found someone for the survey that seems reasonable enough considering your points.
I certainly won’t be missing the opportunity to sail her from place of purchase to mooring. Once our current conditions are relaxed enough to proceed with none essentials I shall get the ball rolling.
Tim

Back