Moody 419 Collapsed mast step (?) . Seeking advice.

Saugus Vejas

Saugus Vejas
Temporary Member
Hello there,

I would like to ask some questions regarding M419.

There is a boat for sale in Italy that I am considering buying. I really like the new sails, new paint, electronics, she is clean, neat. The boat meets my requirements.

But there are some issues that worry me. I am asking Moddy community for help deciding.

• Issue. Some osmosis on the hull. See picture.
  • Mast step is collapsed according to the broker. This is what he wrote to me:
“The base mast in the deck is collapsed in, but it is not broken. I think that the core inside is the matter. Must be opened from inside and replace the core. An option could be to open from outside, or, easily and waiting if it works, put a teak piece under the mast. It is a small and well fixed mast. This could be an option.“

Would you consider this a deal breaker or is it manageable?

• Engine PERKINS 4-108 M from 1984. I suspect original to the boat. What can I expect from this engine?

There is the link to add - https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1985/moody-422-3617147/

Would you buy this boat fro this price: 45.000 euro (plus 3660 euro brokerage fee)?

Thank you for opinions.

Rokas Arbusis (Saugus vejas)

8b8aeb33-4341-4fb8-a7e1-acdf7c0ea41a.jpeg

Hi Saugus,

The mast step is repairable but it will cost something, depending on whether you have a yard to do the work or do it yourself. Clearly the first part of the job is to take the mast down - I don't know why the broker thinks it's a small mast, it's about 15.5m tall and you will need a crane to get it down. Just stuffing a piece of teak under the mast will not help, because the core of the mast step (marine ply or hardwood) will still be rotten. You need to have a sound system to transfer the load from the mast step all the way down to the top of the keel.

Once the mast is down, you could cut the top off the step and replace the core. However, I would prefer to take out the mast compression post (a steel tube inside the boat) to cut out the core from underneath. This would enable you to preserve the gel coat where the mast step is bolted on top of the deck and, perhaps more importantly, allow you to check the condition of the hardwood block at the bottom of the compression post.

If you are not familiar with grp work, all of this is best left to a professional yard. I would also not buy a boat on this scale without having a professional survey performed to find any other deficiencies.

Osmosis never killed a boat and is treatable, but again, is a job for a grp professional.

There are plenty of Perkins 4-108 engines still running in the world, but the condition of that engine depends on how well it has been maintained over the past 36 years- it's certainly had a new coat of paint recently!

I agree with you that she looks quite well presented in the broker's photos and the price is reasonable for a boat of that size. I have no idea of the condition of the sails. If you're serious, I would ask the local yard where she is to give you a price to repair the mast step and treat the osmosis. If the asking price plus that quotation are acceptable, make an offer, subject to survey. Personally, I would also tell the vendor that he can pay the broker, after all, he is the one the broker is working for. That's certainly how it works in the UK.

Peter.

Dear Peter,

Thank you for your opinion. I am really appreciate it.

I like this sailboat. But looks like not for me, not for this time. I am not familiar with GRP jobs (small gelcout cracks not a big deal) and I afraid a make mistake to buy a boat that need a lot of refits on deck/hull.

Now I am looking for another sailboat. Not so gorgeous but cozy. Will be another questions.

Rokas (Saugus Vejas)

The link that you provide takes me to a M422 and not a M419.
The M419 was originally fitted with a Thornycroft engine.
Pity there is no picture of the mast step to see how much the deck is depressed. I certainly agree with Peter that the best way would be to cut out from the inside. Do also check the condition of the mast strut (the end in the bilge) that goes from under the mast step down to the keel.
I don't know about the M422 but the M41 and M419 masts are very solid and heavy.

Micky,

Thank you for asnwer. The link is ok, they had a mistake, this is 419.

The photos I have about mast or rigin, is only this ones (see atached).

In couple days I will receive more information.

2e6f370b-0f70-49cc-a8fa-541e5a6f2a12.JPG
d325360c-d334-4304-87b7-d9ef20061e4e.JPG

Back