Moody 346 Controls led aft?

• Thread starter David Hardcastle
  • Start date
D

David Hardcastle

I am thinking of buying a 346 but am worried about all the halyards, reefing lines etc, being controlled at the mast. My present boat (GK29) has all control lines led back to the cockpit, including single line reefing, which is great. Is it standard on the 346 for these to end at the mast ? Can they be changed back to clutches on the cabin roof and winches repositioned there also ? And single line reefing fitted ?
thanks for your help.
david

Hi David,

As I recall, lines at the mast is fairly standard on a Moody 346 but, of course, it can be changed. The cost will vary depending on how many lines you want to control from the cockpit and whether you buy two new winches or re purpose winches from the mast. My previous boat was a Westerly Storm and she had 10 lines brought back to the cockpit as standard.

Take a look here:

for a description of how this was achieved on David Longhurst's M346 - a key decision is whether to drill through the coaming (it's hollow) or mount everything on blocks so the lines pass over the coaming.

You will find more discussion of this by using the search facility (top right of this page).

Peter.

Peter,
Many thanks for this information. Unfortunately as a Registered Guest, I don’t have access to technical posts, but at this stage it’s useful to know that it can be done. I can then search ‘how’ in due course, as a future ( potential ) member.

david

Hi David,

If you're thinking seriously of buying a Moody, there is the option of temporary membership - it's only £22 which is as nothing in boat buying terms -I'm sure the posts on here save me more than the membership fee each year. We joined before buying Wild Thyme over 10 years ago and found this board most helpful in finding a good boat and buying her.

Peter.

Great idea, many thanks

Back