Moody 422/425 Engine lifespan?

• Thread starter Fred Boyd
  • Start date
F

Fred Boyd

Looking at a 425 with a T98 with over 6000 hours. What's your expectation of engine life? Indications from owner and pictures are good, but certainly not a "you can eat off it" engine.

I've had Perkins/Westerbeke diesels, so not ignorant of diesel vagaries, but this engine manufacturer is new to me and there's not much info on the web.

Fred

Far more important for engine condition is the service history rather than engine hours. If the service history is unknown or uncertain then life expectancy will be difficult if not impossible to predict.
The source of the T98 is a Ford 1.6 litre diesel fitted to various road vehicles in the UK in the 1980s and marinised by Thornycroft; a very well known and respected builder of marine engines in the UK.
More information is availble in the MOA archives, however only to full members.

Last edited:
Hi,

Jeff's right on all counts, part of the marinising is to set the fuel pump up differently so it delivers less power at lower peak power revs, so it should last a long time. The Ford engine model is XLD416 and the Haynes manual is a must have if you buy it. It's worth asking when the cambelt was last changed, both because it's coming up to needing a second change and because if the current owner doesn't know, he doesn't think about his engine very much.

Peter.

Thanks, guys- exactly the kind of insights I'm looking for. Anyone else want to help?

Fred,

I believe Jeff and Peter are correct in their comments. My 425 was built in 1989. I changed the engine 2 years ago.

How many cars built in 1989 are still on the road today?

If you purchase, you may be lucky and have an engine that has been well maintained through its life. However, if I were in your position, I would be thinking about either a major rebuild or a new engine in the not too distant future.

Having said that, with the new engine in our boat, it has transformed the way we sail. It’s no longer “When is it going to break down again?” To “Where shall we go?”

I think the 425 is a fantastic boat for living aboard and travelling distances.

Regards,

Brian.

Back