Moody 39 Headroom on Primrose 36/39/40

S

Stephen Kirker

I am in the market for a long term live aboard cruiser and as I live with a degenerative autoimmune condition that is particularly severe on the spine (ankylosing spondylitis) I want one with plenty of room for my (shrinking) 6'2-6'3" frame.

It is important that I have full standing headroom in the main functional areas, less so in the sleeping areas.

I am battling to find information on the specifics.

Any help greatly appreciated. And if you are looking to sell, please let me know.

Stephen, I do hope you get some expert advice from owners of these boats.

I can confirm that in the Dixon designs which were later, you would be fine for headroom - I am the same height and have no trouble.

Usually the issues regarding this are the corridor to the aft cabin and the aft cabin itself.

Kindest

Neil

Thanks for the reply.

If it's the corridor and aft cabin only I can definitely live with that. I saw a thread somewhere which indicated 6'2" in the forecabin, but it's a step down from the saloon isn't it?

The Dixon designs not within budget.

Stephen

Stephen
we have a Primrose designed M39. I don't have figures for the headroom but I will likely be aboard this weekend and will take a tape measure.
I am only about 5'6 myself, all I can say without measuring anything is that the only place where I have to stoop is the doorway to the aft cabin. I can just, barely, stand upright in the main part of the walkthrough, and in the rest of the boat there is no issue whatsoever. I am certain that you'll find the headroom in the main cabin to be ample.
Let me know if you have any more questions about the design.

Rob

Thanks very much for the reply. And for taking a tape measure! I look forward to hearing what it tells you.

I have no other specific questions at this stage. But I shall be sure to ask if I do.

Sorry didn't get to the boat this weekend after all- maybe during the week.

Sorry didn't get to the boat this weekend after all- maybe during the week.
Hi Rob, have you been down to the boat? With tape measure? And deploy it? I just threatened to make an offer on a 40 beyond inspection range due to travel restrictions and my good wife brought me to heel.

Hi Stephen, no sorry I never made it down to the boat- had to work this weekend at short notice.
Will try to get out this week.
I'm sure you will be pleased with the headroom in the M39/M40. There is a step down to the forward part of the boat, but the coachroof steps down at the same time, so I think the headroom in the saloon is greater than in the forecabin.

OK better late than never- made it out to the boat at last. This is what I found:
Saloon= 6ft2.5in, and 6ft7in under the hatch
Galley= 6ft6
Walkthrough= 5ft2.5in except in lowest part which is 5ft1
Aft cabin- 6ft
Forward passageway, bunk cabin, and forecabin= 6ft2
Forecabin has 6ft7 under its hatch.

Hope that helps!

Back