Moody 31 Insurance with older Standing Rigging

We're looking at buying our first yacht, a 1984 Moody, which is assumed to have the original standing rigging. The rigging is stouter than any we have seen before and looks substantial to us, but our experience of sailing yachts is limited. We have heard that it is less easy to get insurance cover if the standing rigging is more than 10 years old. Does anyone know if this is the case? Does it depend on the insurance company? Would rigging inspections provide the reassurance an insurer would need? Any advice would be very welcome!

Various surveyors will give differing opinions as to whether rigging has a lifespan or not. My last two surveys were good evidence with one saying it looked OK (didn't know how old) and the other saying 12 years. I wouldn't sail with 39 year old rigging and if you say its that old to most riggers I suspect they will say it needs replacement. Good luck.

To add to Barry’s comment, I’d suggest that you simply won’t be able to get insurance at all if you are sure the rigging is that old.

Thank you both. We're not absolutely sure of the age, but it sounds like we would need to consider replacing the rigging. Would you be able to give me a ball park figure for how much it would cost to do? Many thanks.

Looking at recent forum conversations about re rigging a 31, I would guess the cost of having the whole job done for you at £1500-£2000, depends where in the country you are e.g. S.Coast more expensive than most, and whether or not you are up to doing some of the preparation and reassembly yourself.
I would suggest you should be asking for this money off the asking price.

Would you be able to give me a ball park figure for how much it would cost to do?
Depends on the size of the boat.

which I have now seen in the thread title, the numbers @Dick Holness has suggested above would be a good starting point i paid about the mid point for new standing rigging in 2019.

Last edited:
Hi Dick,
Thanks for those figures. They confirm the impression we had from trying to find out what was involved in re-rigging a boat.
I'm really pleased with the level of detail in responses and the speed with which you and Barry replied.
If we get the Moody, I will certainly join the association!

Hi Karen,

I agree with Barry and Dick, that I would not sail a boat with stainless steel rigging from 1984. In the absence of positive evidence of the age, both surveyors and insurers will assume that it is original to the boat.

Peter.

Back