Moody 376 Is it suitable for stern to mooring

• Thread starter Margaret Craig
  • Start date
M

Margaret Craig

We are hoping to upgrade our Jeanneau 29.2 to a Moody 376 in Greece. We want a good stable boat whilst moving and also swinging on anchor. We also want to come stern-to in ports and harbours but are concerned about manouvrability in reverse in confined areas. We understand it has a 'long' shallow fin keel, 3 bladed shaft drive prop and is skeg hung. She has a 55hp engine and no bow thruster (would that help)? Would we end up with the Moody Blues?

Hi Margaret,

The biggest difference in handling between the two boats will be down to weight rather than keel configuration so you will need to think ahead a bit more, both for turning and for stopping. The extra displacement also means you should forget anything you've learned about pushimg the boat around by hand - if collision is imminent, the best you can do is to drop a fender in the closing gap rather than any attempt at pushing off.

Undoubtedly a fin and skeg will need a bit more way on astern before responding to the helm than a fin and spade design. To moor stern to in high winds it's worth turning your boat before entering the harbour, then you don't have to change direction when close to other boats. It's the stopped condition when changing between ahead and astern that leaves you most vulnerable to the wind, After one season you should be completely adapted to a boat which will handle differently, but not really more difficult.

A bow thruster will help in cross winds, but it's worth seeing how you get on without for a season before making the spend required for that unless, of course, you buy a boat with one already fitted.

A M376 will be both stable and stiff, under way and at anchor, and is a prime example of Bill Dixon's skill in designing a well balanced rig with a delightfully light helm.

Peter.

Hi Peter
Thank you so much for your comprehensive and clear reply. This makes a lot of sense. Sounds like a roving fender will be a good idea, particularly as we learn! Thanks again, Margaret

Hi Peter,

We have a Moody 44 in Greece with no bow thruster. Once going backwards there is no problem. In tight harbours we get going astern outside the harbour and drop the anchor on the fly on inside. Normally do a rece first.

Prop walk can be very useful however makes going astern in the desired direction initially a challenge.

As Peter says try without a bow thruster with a little practice it will be OK.

Ian

Hi Peter,

We have a Moody 44 in Greece with no bow thruster. Once going backwards there is no problem. In tight harbours we get going astern outside the harbour and drop the anchor on the fly on inside. Normally do a rece first.

Prop walk can be very useful however makes going astern in the desired direction initially a challenge.

As Peter says try without a bow thruster with a little practice it will be OK.

Ian
Thanks Ian
I was thinkinga recently first would be useful. Not to try to do everything at once! Meg

Hi, we have a m376 moored in Cyprus. We moor stern in. I fitted a bow thruster to make life easier. But get at least 2knts astern and she is not to bad to handle.
Phil

I’ve had my M376 in Greece for 6 years now and liveaboard for over 3. Practice is the key word here and give yourself plenty of room to get some speed up (not too fast) she’ll just reverse back then. We don’t have a bow thruster but a couple of helpful tips, 1) As they are shaft driven they pull to port when you initially go backwards so I always start off offset to starboard then by the time Prop wash has done it’s thing I’m perfectly lined up to go backwards straight into the ‘stern to space’

2) The other thing that really helped reduce pressure is to have a remote anchor drop rather than on a cable. The 2nd person can wander round to assist with lines or fendering.

I would recommend a lewmar remote as appose to a cheap one from eBay but that’s down to my negative experience with cheap ones.

At anchor they are very comfortable and of course much cooler that tied to a concrete dock.

They’re also the perfect size in Greece due to the cruising tax leaping up at 12m.

Unfortunately we’ll be selling ours later this year due to working and living on a cat in the Caribbean so she’s not getting used. Otherwise we would have kept her forever.

Back