Boat name
SPRAY
Berth
Chichester Marina
Boat type
Moody 36(90s)
Cruising area
Solent
Hi - We are looking at buying a Moody 35 and this will be a big step up for us. We have view one and she fits all our requirements and reviews I have read are very positive. I'd be grateful for any key aspects I should take particular attention to in proceeding with a purchase. I've appointed a surveyor but I also value the experience of this forum. Many thanks. Charles.

Charles,

I have sailed on an M35 and I have a friend out here who has one. I recall that access to the front of the engine is difficult. She is an old boat and will have old boat problems. In an ideal world, it would be nice if she had a recently fitted new engine and standing rigging.

Regards,

Brian.

Hi Brian
Thank you for your comments and they are really helpful. I’ll add your thoughts to my discussion with the surveyor.

All the best

Charles

Hi Charles, I recently acquired one. Are you looking for bilge or fin keel? Either way keel bolts are always a thing to look after, rusty fuel tank on its bottom must also be in the list. Leaky windows or any leaks in the board and starboard rigging plates also a must check.
If it has the original calorifier, check both pipe ends at the engine and at the calorifier itself, mine were leaking...
In my opinion, these old engines -if well maintained- last forever. So you are better off looking for some other expensive repairs caused by leaks, I.e. windows, rigging and keel.

Last edited:
Hi Charles, I recently acquired one. Are you looking for bilge or fin keel? Either way keel bolts are always a thing to look after, rusty fuel tank on its bottom must also be in the list. Leaky windows or any leaks in the board and starboard rigging plates also a must check.
If it has the original calorifier, check both pipe ends at the engine and at the calorifier itself, mine were leaking...
In my opinion, these old engines -if well maintained- last forever. So you are better off looking for some other expensive repairs caused by leaks, I.e. windows, rigging and keel.
Hi Ibon
Thank you for your feedback and it is very much appreciated. She's a fin keel and cosmetically, appears very tidy indeed. However, it's always the detail that's key and you've provided me with more questions to ask:)

All the best

Charles

Back