Moody 31 MkII looking at buying

• Thread starter Steven Palmer
  • Start date
S

Steven Palmer

Hello and thank you for me to join the group. I have my eye on a Moody 31 mk2. it really suits what I am looking for a small cruiser out side and internally. I have a small question, I have a little bit of a movability issues being that I am a double leg amputee. so is it possible to move the main sheet and reposition it so that it is easier to get down stairs while at sea.

also what are they like sailing with just 2 crew, and would anyone know if leading more of the control line aft from the mast work as I would like to sail abit more solo
many thanks and looking forward to any repeiles
many thanks steve

Hello and thank you for me to join the group. I have my eye on a Moody 31 mk2. it really suits what I am looking for a small cruiser out side and internally. I have a small question, I have a little bit of a movability issues being that I am a double leg amputee. so is it possible to move the main sheet and reposition it so that it is easier to get down stairs while at sea.

also what are they like sailing with just 2 crew, and would anyone know if leading more of the control line aft from the mast work as I would like to sail abit more solo
many thanks steve
Hi Steve

We love our 31 and mainly sail as 2 which works well . When the main sheet is centrally positioned its quite easy to go round when going below so no issues

our lines are not lead aft. I have no plans to change but would probably choose them to be lead back given a choice

I will let a Solo sailor answer your solo questions

good luck With your purchase

Adam

Hi Steven,
I have a M31 Mk1 (which is identical to the MK2 apart from the chart table orientation and the sugar scoop.) I have halyards, kicker, out-haul and reefing lines led to the cockpit. I also have self tailing genoa winches and wheel steering with inboard autopilot. With this setup I regularly sail single handed but probably more often two up.

Regarding the main sheet, the standard setup on the track has simple plunger stops but others have added a towable car so that it can be adjusted under load. On most points of sail I think you could adjust the car position on the track to allow easier (and safe) access to the companionway with possibly some compromise on sail shape.

Paul

Hi Steven
Welcome to the group.
I have owned a 31 mk2 for 2 seasons and have sailed as a 2 and solo.
The boat is Quite manageable for both situations.
I would like to lead all lines aft, and will be doing so over next winter I think.
I am also currently upgrading my main track traveller to a pulley system to make it easier and more tunable.

Regarding the main, if you are referring not to moving along the traveller, but actually moving the track and sheet away from the companionway, you might want to consider an S31 which I think has the main already on the coach roof.

I am sure better qualified people will be along to give more detailed feedback directly.

Regards
Ben

many thanks steve
Hi, I regularly sail my Mk 2 solo, it’s quite easy to do with all lines led to the cockpit. The main sheet traveller allows easy access to the companion way but the final step down is greater than the first two which sometimes catches me out.

thank you all for the input. that has cleared a lot up. ok then next question ( and I would have to get the boat first) running the lines aft how much work is needed to do this, would guess it is just a case of see what can be ran back and where the best place for them is .
so my next question is do many of these model ever fly a spinnaker? and seen that one was for sale back 2016 again
againg thank you for the replies
steve

It’s chiefly a matter of how many clutches you will have on the cabin top under the spray hood, if it’s not set up then you would have to re arrange or install more. There are sufficient halyards to set up a spinnaker but a little risky short handed and/or mobility problems. A cruising chute is easier to rig/snuff short handed but there is obviously a compromise on how deep you can sail off the wind.

Hi Steven,

You can find a fair bit about bringing lines back to the cockpit on a Moody 31 from this thread and the links in it:

I guess you might also be interested in single line reefing, which saves the trip to the mast to hook the reef cringles onto the rams horns. As to the work involved in bringing lines back to the cockpit, of course it depends on what is there already, but you want to finish up with two coachroof winches and around 3 clutches each side and a 3 sheave deck organiser each side. I would aim to bring back the following lines. Main halyard. Topping lift, Kicking strap, Main outhaul, reef 1 and reef 2. nly if you plan to fly a symmetric spinnaker would I add spinnaker halyard, pole up and pole down then, because that makes an odd number genoa halyard making 5 lines each side.

A key decision for bringing lines back is whether you mount all the gear on blocks so that the lines pass over the forward part of the cockpit coaming or put tubes through the coaming as the previous owner of David Longhurst's boat, shown in post #2 of this thread:

has done. I must say the tubes through the coaming look much more professional.

Of course, you also need to replace the lines with longer ones so they reach and put a block for each line at the foot of the mast.

The answer is a fair bit of work!

Peter.

again thank you for your replies, sadly I don't have access to the rest of the forum to see the other posts. the boat Im now looking at has already got some line brought aft. but when I go and see in the flesh I can get a better understanding.

Back