Moody 35 M35 or Dufour 38 Classic ?

Peter Michiels

PETER MICHIELS
Registered Guest
Hi guys. I'm contemplating purchasing a Moody 35 or a Dufour Classic 38 because good Moody 35s are very few and far between while trying to find a good one. Any thoughts from those with experience would be most grateful on either

Hi Peter,
I don’t have any experience of the Durfour’s but I have a Moody 35 and have done for about 7/8 years. Durfour have a good reputation I would say and well built. We choose the Moody because it’s “over engineered” and solid boat. At first we were unsure about the centre cockpit but soon got used to it and the great advantage is the excellent aft cabin arrangement. We have spent some money over the years updating her. She was a good example anyhow but we replaced sails, some rigging, had cockpit enclosure made, new stack pack. The best change we made was all the upholstery and curtains were changed and that really lifted her appearance. We always feel incredibly safe in her and she cuts through the water rather than sitting like a cork on the surface.
hope that helps, not sure what is/isn’t helpful, but the Moody 35 gets our vote, or a 36 as that is a great boat too. I guess it depends what is around and what Dufour’s are on offer in comparison.

Hi Harriet. I know what you mean about Moodys because I had a M31 in 1985 new from the factory and loved it but always wish I had purchased the 34 at the time, although only three feet longer, it was a totally different yacht with a large aft cabin which is one of the great points about a M35. Finding a good M35 is difficult which is why I turned my thoughts to the Dufour 38 which has had good reviews and is also a Cat A yacht. What is the M35 like in heavy seas ? I have made a couple of mistakes lately with yachts and the biggest one is telling the broker that I am a cash buyer. Before I told him that in an e/mail, the day before he told me the Dufour 38 was a wonderful yacht and was available. I don't believe that it was a coincidence because the yacht has been for sale for over thirteen months. I realised yacht brokers are like estate agents, if they have a cash buyer and someone who is looking for a loan to purchase the yacht, unfortunately its the one who is looking for the loan who is of more interest to the broker because the broker makes money out of the seller and then makes further commission on organising a loan. I did want a yacht for the start of this season March/April, I'm now wondering if its worth leaving it until 2021 when there maybe more yachts available depending how deep the recession hits plus its going to save me mooring fees between now & next March but will just have to wait and see as I have another couple of yachts to see within the next two months.

Hi peter.
I have a m35 at the moment. Also had a gibsea dufour 43 previously. She proved to big for me.
I always wanted a Center cockpit moody so this time round I bought one. Funnily enough the boat moored next to me is a dufour 38. Side by side you can see the difference in quality. The moody looks and feels a better engineered boat. Down below the 38 has dark wood and feels a bit dated for the age 2002. Where as the moody feels a lot more spacious and lighter.
side by side you’d be hard pushed to know which one was newer.
As for her sailing ability, we have just completed a tour of the south west from the Solent with no problems to mention. Big seas were not an issue.
Would I buy a dufour again??
I don’t think so.

Hi David,

As owner of your Moody 35, youvare, kf course, eligible for full membership of the MOA. We have been for 10 years now and find the infirmation available on this web site worth every penny of the small subscription whether you choose to take part in the sailing and social activities or not.

You can join on line via a link on the home page and I'm sure you'll find it a worthwhile investment.

Peter.

Hi peter.
I have a m35 at the moment. Also had a gibsea dufour 43 previously. She proved to big for me.
I always wanted a Center cockpit moody so this time round I bought one. Funnily enough the boat moored next to me is a dufour 38. Side by side you can see the difference in quality. The moody looks and feels a better engineered boat. Down below the 38 has dark wood and feels a bit dated for the age 2002. Where as the moody feels a lot more spacious and lighter.
side by side you’d be hard pushed to know which one was newer.
As for her sailing ability, we have just completed a tour of the south west from the Solent with no problems to mention. Big seas were not an issue.
Would I buy a dufour again??
I don’t think so.
Hi David. Many thanks for the information which is very helpful. I have seen a couple of 35s but both needed quite a lot spending on them which is why I started to look at other alternatives and newer yachts which is why I thought the Dufour 38 was looking promising as it also had good sailing reviews. Because of the virus I missed what looked like a well looked after 1996 M35 in Scotland but unfortunately someone beat me to it so I will continue to keep looking for a M35 on your advice but now not in so much of a hurry because of the time of the year so fingers crossed I will find a good one for next season. Many thanks once again and have a fantastic day. Regards. Peter

Back