Boat name
INDIGO BLUE
Berth
Beaumaris
Boat type
Moody 33 Mk1
Cruising area
Wales
Hello All, New poster here :) Plus a potentially new sailor.

I like the Moody line of boats, to which I am considering purchasing one. My pre reqs are pretty simple.

Head, Bed, Galley, Abiltiy to stand up fully and move about the boat. For reference I am 5ft 10ins.

I have been aboard a Moody 30, great layout, ticks the boxes. Can't agree a price with the broker, looking at other options.

Moody 28, there are a few for sale, but they are all VERY far away from me (West Mids), does anyone here own a 28, could give me the walkthough dimenstions or even better, invite me onto their boat for a (Can I stand up check) and does the boat fit my proprtions (5ft 10ins) average build guy.

I've been on a couple of other boatmakers 28 footers, and needed to stoop on everyone. Which I can't get my head around, or can't remember to duck all the time :)

Appreciate your comments and feedback.

Richard, can't help with a M28 but is this in budget even if its an offer. Needs a good scrub and some new batteries.

28 great boats, fun to sail, fast, easily managed and good rear cabin but in the saloon you will feel inclined to stoop, even if you (just) don’t need to.
Go 30 or 31 and it’s a different story.

M28 is a cracking boat, easy to handle and solid for its size. Great space for a 28 foot boat, but at 6ft4 it's not particularly designed for my height :) I can just about lay stretched out in the aft cabin, but can't stretch out fully on either saloon bunks or the v berth. I can't stand up fully anywhere in the boat.

At 5ft10, I'd expect you could just stand up fully in the tallest points in the saloon, but it is true that going 30 or 31 will just give you a feeling a bit more space in all directions.

If I was buying from scratch, and a decent 31 came up, I might choose that over a 28 - but having compared the 28 and 31 now, it's not enough of a difference that I would upgrade 28->31 I don't think (I'd go up a bit more to 33/34/35 to get a noticeable difference).

Not measurements but hope that's give a bit of a feel!

Could also consider M29. More modern design than M30, great space and headroom (I'm 5'11"). Large heads across the boat between main cabin and forecabin, with full headroom.

Back