SAORSA
Berth
Dunstaffnage Bay
Boat type
Moody 31 MkII
Cruising area
West Coast Scotland
Dear All
We sail on the west coast of Scotland. Having just sold our much loved M35 fin, we are downsizing and the M31 fits the bill. Our first previous boat many years ago was a M29 bilge keel. The question is the M29 bilge keel was terrible if motoring into a wind, where any waves seam to built up a pressure between the keels and stall the boat typical would be 3/4 knots then down to 1 knot then take quite some time for it recover only to happened again and again, is the M31 bilge keel any better in this scenario.
Regards
William Wilson

Never had that problem but mine has a 27 HP engine.

We have had a 31mk2 BK for 15 years and have not experienced the speed loss you describe. In extreme slamming conditions a transient drop of 1-1.5 kts has been experienced but that’s all.
BTW we are reluctantly about to market our boat which is an excellent 1990 example. It is a wheel steer version and is lying at Lossiemouth. If you would like to receive the Spec and photos please contact on 07974354258/geoffbinfield@talktalk.net.

Last edited:
William, yes but only once trying to motor into 35 knots of wind across the Solent. We really should have known better but thought we would give it a try. After an hour we gave up and went home to succeed the following day with a better forecast. The short Solent chop can also cause the windward keel to thump if you catch the top of the waves. This mainly occurred in the early days before we learnt to reef earlier and not sail her on her ear with the water on the leeward toe rail. We have learnt a lot over the years and now sail forwards not sideways.

We are on True Blue a M31 Charter Yacht out of Oban at the moment. Other than there is a wooden stick were the wheel should be, I don't think there is much difference between this fin and our bilge keeled yacht when sailing. I am pleased to report that despite years of charter work, True Blue is holding up well. She has had a few new items like cushions, floor and a new engine, but the woodwork is all original and in good order as is the hull and deck which bodes well for us in the future.

If you can find a bow on M29 photo you might compare it to this one.

Attachments

• M31.JPG
    M31.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 200
Last edited:
Peter
Many thanks for your comprehensive reply. I'm coming round to the bilge keel 31. My M29 I put in new 20hp engine and propeller mabey the fault was wrong prop size and pitch.
I have also sailed True Blue and found her to be a cracking sail boat hence my preference to get fin keel
Regards
William

William, given the negligible difference when sailing, the ability to dry out somewhere calm to change an anode or give her a quick scrub mid season makes quite a difference over having a yard lift our M31 each time. We do lift for antifouling every other year but a quick mid season scrub on the club grid makes all the difference.

I would have liked to do Loch Teacuis, but that is quite scary with a fin. Same for upper Loch Talbert :)

Back