Moody 33 Moody 33 mk1 vs mk2

Stefanos Detsis

Registered Guest
Dear fellow sailors,

I am thinking about a Moody 33 mk2. I have sailed many times with a moody 33 mk1. Sailboat data says that mk2 has a bigger sail plan than mk1.

Is that true. Do you have any more info regarding the differences of the two models;

Stefanos, the 452 sq feet is a rating measurement based on the main (205 sq ft) and the fore triangle (247 sq ft), which is a slightly artificial measurement. This is what is described in the rig plan in the archive.

The actual rig is a main of 205sq ft and what is described as a "light genoa" of 375m (it has a large overlap) which gives 580 square feet. This is also given on the rig plan.

The two pages (confusingly) use the two different measures, the Mk1 page describes the "rating measurement" (452sq ft) and the Mk2 page describes the actual sails originally fitted (580sq ft) . The two marks (as far as I know) actually had the same rig, so they both would have come with a maximum sail area of 580sq ft if the owner bought the largest genoa as at that time they would have mostly had hank-on sails.

Of course subsequent owners may have altered that with the fitting of roller furling, higher cut or otherwise modified sails since they were built. So it would be wise to check before buying, but in essence, they both have the same rig.

The main difference is in the internal layout, where the mk1 had the full width heads and shower between the saloon and the forepeak and the Mk2 had the smaller heads (to stbd?) and a seating area opposite. There are a few detail changes to the grab handles and the entry hatches maybe very slightly altered in shape (I am not entirely sure on this last point). I think that is all. They're both great boats to sail, I had a Mk1 which looked after us very well.

Does that help?

Andrew

Dear Andrew,

Yes it is pretty clear. The truth is that I am between 2 sailboats a Moody 33mk2 and a Hallberg Rassy Rasmus 35. And my main concern is their upwind performance and general handling differences.

Has anyone sailed both to know the differences?

Stefanous, I would spend some time searching for Peter McKenzie who raced one for many years up in Scotland and had a reputation for taking home the silverware.

Back