Moody 419 Moody 419 "Misanda"

• Thread starter Oliver Webb
  • Start date
O

Oliver Webb

Hi All,

I'm looking at a Moody 419 Hull that has been repaired following it was grounded in the Holyhead Marina Storm. Through my research on google I believe she was previously called Misanda so was wondering if any of you know her owners?

Does anybody have any idea of the cost of a rewire (excluding electronics) and new engine for her? Also has anybody installed a bowthruster on one?

Any tips for things that I should be paying attention to and that you'd upgrade/change too would be great to hear as I'll be starting from scratch pretty much!

Thanks!
Olly

Hi Olly,

I know nothing of Misanda but, if you have researched her, you will know that the 419 was just one of 4 models built with essentially the same hull:

M41, M419, M422 and M425

The later 2 had a sugar scoop stern with a vast lazarette added so no cockpit locker making even more space down below.

A new engine plus installation will cost you around £7000 (Incl VAT) A erewire, cepending on how much upgrade you want (presumably a new 12V switch panel, if she's been flooded) could easily be £3000. The thing that kills all these projects is the labour which, for skilled technicians, comes in at £45 per hour + 20% VAT or sometimes more.

If your considering purchase of a hull that has been submerged for any length of time, you need to think of the consequences for the structure and rig. Was she pounded on the bottom after her sinking? If so, how is her keel attachment and the grp keel stub to which the keel is secured? How is her rudder? How is her skeg (to which the foot of the rudder is attached? How about structural timber components in the hull, e.g. chainplate attachment part bulkheads, mast compression post attachments?

I think I know a fair bit about boat building, but I wouldn't take on a project like that without engaging a professional marine surveyor or a shipwright who I knew to be reliable to give her a thorough survey before purchase.

In our Moody 425 we have installed a bow thruster with no problem. Where we cut the holes through the hull to install the tunnel, each cutout was >1" thick!

Peter.

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the detailed reply - that all really helps! The Surveyor is going around next week so will know more then.

She wasn't fully submerged but on her side on the rocky beach. Skeg looks in one piece (photo attached) but rudder will need some work on it/replacing.

Do you/anyone on here know anyone they'd recommend for such work?

Thanks again
Oliver

Attachments

• IMG_4445.jpeg
    IMG_4445.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 282
Hi Ollie,

In your position, I would ask the surveyor if you could join him (with appropriate social distancing) while he does the survey It's amazing how much more you can learn this way than by just reading a surveyor's report.

Peter

Ollie,

Best of luck with the survey.

With regard to your question about a suitable contractor, I don’t know anyone there personally. However, I do recall Tom Cunliffe having his boat moved from the South coast to TLC Boat Repairs up that way for a new teak deck, I think.

They claim to be an approved repairer for most insurance companies.

01492 580820 / 07762 835537
Email: info@tlc-boat-repair.co.uk

Brian.

Hi Peter and Brian,

Thanks for the tips! She's actually lying in Essex now so if anyone knows any good GRP experts/recommendations they would be most welcome as she made need some internal repairs to the stringers and bulkhead before she returns to the water

Thanks everyone for being such a welcoming community so far!

Best,
Olly

Hi Olly,

If she's in Essex she's just a stone's throw from Suffolk, where Suffolk Yacht Harbour has all the skills on site that you need for a major refit:

I must declare I have a personal interest in this business.

They know a fair bit about Moody 425's as they have looked after Wild Thyme since we bought her in 2010 and at least one other M425 is resident there. In that period, Wild Thyme has had new sails, a major upgrade to her 12V system, a holding tank installed, a new engine, keel dropped and refitted, bottom grit blasted and Coppercoated and a bow thruster installed.

If you're interested, your first point of contact is Josh Major, Yard Director: joshua@syharbour.co.uk 01473 659240

Peter.

Last edited:
Back