Moody 422/425 Moody 425 / 419 Long Distance Cruiser?

• Thread starter Simon Parry
  • Start date
S

Simon Parry

Dear All
Thanks for allowing access as a guest.
We are considering a M 419 / 425 as a long term, full time liveaboard.
Currently in the Med, but plan is to cross Atlantic, Pacific into Asia then parts of Indian Ocean.
We know lots of people say these boats are blue water cruisers, but does anyone know of someone who has done such a journey in one of these beauties?
Thanks for your help
Fair winds
Simon

Hi Simon,

We have never lived aboard, but when we bought Wild Thyme, Pete Petersen, a US member, was cruising the Med in his, then sailed back to the Caribbean and US waters where he cruised her for more years before selling her and moving on to other things. He never had anything but praise for the boat.

Peter.

LadyJane has just been sold but did travel a fair bit; and there are some more Blogs to be found....... We do believe it is a true blue water boat and plan on moving on board soon to cruise.

Hi Simon,

we‘ve been happy with our 425 as a family live aboard cruiser, she’d circumnavigated with the previous owner and we‘ve added to her mileage since moving aboard in 2016, sailingpierina.com the site needs updating but it could give you some ideas. Just let us know if you have any specific queries not covered in the threads

all the best

Tim

Hi,

We have a friend that have done the ARC and the ARC Plus with a 425. He was very happy at the end and said it is a great boat and he would never done a world tour in a new “plastic” boat.

I wish you all the best.

The 425 is an exceptional 42 foot cruising boat. Moody Mistress did 2 years in the Med, west to east and back. Crossed the Atlantic and circumnavigated the Caribbean. We have put on over 50,000 offshore miles over the years in 4 different boats and the Moody 425 has been the best of the bunch. During our Atlantic crossing we made it from the Canary Islands to St. Maartin in 18.5 days....it’s a hundred miles further west than St. Lucia where the ARC goes and 5 of those days we were in the high 170’s with our average day in the 150’s. Those are very good numbers for a cruising boat offshore. Our previous boat a Tartan 44 was certainly quicker upwind but it would not hold a candle to the Moody with winds behind the beam. I would take a hard look at the 422 or the 425 and I’d pass on the 419, just my opinion. Robert

Robert, on the 42ft Moodys, how would the later M42 (around 2000) compare in sailing performance and seakindliness would you say? Any appreciable difference?

Back