Moody 54 Moody 54 shoal draft rudder length

Howard Ratcliffe

Registered Guest
Can anyone tell us if the rudder on a shoal draft 2001 Moody 54 (1.8m) should draw more than the keel? Also, please share any experience of heavy weather sailing in such a shoal draft Moody 54. We are considering buying one and would like an answer within the next few days to help with our decision making. Thank you in advance.

Hi Howard and welcome to the MOA,

I can assure you that the rudder is not deeper than the keel. Hopefully a Moody 54 owner will be along soon to answer your other question.

Peter.

Howard, once you get into the bigger yachts, then far fewer members will have owned one or be able to tell the difference between a shallow or deep draft fin keeled yacht in any meaningful way. In a race to windward sure, but back in the real world with a 4 tonnes of water, fuel and stores on board? I have a bilge keeled M31. I spent a week sailing the fin keeled version and the only noticeable difference was down to the folding prop. Otherwise in a blind test I couldn't have said which was which.

Also, 1.8m is 6 feet. Yes a M54 is a big boat but 6ft isn't exactly a shallow draft. Friend has the M54 with a 2.3m keel. He is sometimes quite limited on the South Coast of the UK. On the other hand beating to windward say Baltic to the Solent were the wind seems to be always from the SW, then that extra depth is great.

Pete

Back