Non Boat Specific Moody Yacht - potential purchase, but no VAT Record???

• Thread starter Robert Wilkinson
  • Start date
R

Robert Wilkinson

Good evening,
I know this is a very long shot, however I wonder if the Association holds, or has knowledge of the whereabouts of any of the original Moody sales records, in particular copies of sales / VAT invoices from back in the late 1980's?

We are in the process of purchasing a 1989 Moody, however we just found out that the original sales invoice from Moody has been lost somewhere along the way. I don't doubt for a second that the VAT was paid in full at the time, and this would not be a problem if we were planning to remain in the UK, however for our future plans to sail beyond UK waters, (eventually!) although rarely asked for, having proof of VAT Status may be required by Customs, and is certainly best to have onboard if possible.

I know obtaining a copy through this route is unlikely - my understanding is that companies have no obligation to keep such paperwork beyond seven years - and this boat left the factory 31 years ago!

Any info or suggestions much appreciated.

Kind regards

Robert

Hi Robert,

Unfortunately we don't have any of these records. The original owners were given it obviously, but with subsequent sales chains they often get lost. There used to be an HMRC section which would give some kind of assumed VAT status, but I haven't heard of it for some time. I wonder if other members have more knowledge.

It might be good to call the RYA about this and ask their legal advice on the subject.

Kindest

Neil

Thanks for your responses.
Once the original VAT invoice is lost - its a complex issue! The RYA guidance is helpful though and provides a bit of reassurance.
BW
Robert

Back