AURORA
Berth
Portsmouth
Boat type
Moody 36(90s)
Cruising area
Solent
Hi
Ive been pondering my next boat purhase for a while and I'm strongly leaning towards a shoal draft 38cc as i like the flexibility this offers and it will allow me to retain my existing swinging mooring which i also like. I currently have a long keel 28ft that draws 1.4m which sinks into the mud a little at lw springs whereas the long keel boat drawing 1.7m next to me lies on its side and im assuming the shoal keel 38cc rudder and keel arrangement while not quite as a bullet proof as a long keel will be suitably robust? The nearby Westerlies with similar setups dont experience any issues but i certainly wouldnt want to risk it with a modern spade rudder.

My main query is whether to go for the 38 or 38-2 as while i like the look of the later version i do like the sound of the higher ballast in the former and have heard unverified reports that its the better sailor. Im also still pondering whether the additional heads and greater ballast of the earlier 1990s 38 makes it a better choice than a slightly later 36cc. We're a family of four with two kids.

Any general purchase tips also greatly welcomed. Thanks in advance. John

We had a shoal draft Moody38cc in Greece for 10 years. The two heads was great with visitors, being ensuite fore/aft, and handy when one of the heads needed fixing. In relation to the shoal draft we found that although you could get into shallow spots to moor, if there was even a modest amount of pitching the rudder could ground, fortunately we found this out with a soft sea bed. I don't have measurements but snorkelling around the boat I recall the rudder appeared to draw much the same as the bulb keel. I cant help with whether the rudder is robust enough to not mind going into the mud a bit.

We had a shoal draft Moody38cc in Greece for 10 years. The two heads was great with visitors, being ensuite fore/aft, and handy when one of the heads needed fixing. In relation to the shoal draft we found that although you could get into shallow spots to moor, if there was even a modest amount of pitching the rudder could ground, fortunately we found this out with a soft sea bed. I don't have measurements but snorkelling around the boat I recall the rudder appeared to draw much the same as the bulb keel. I cant help with whether the rudder is robust enough to not mind going into the mud a bit.
Thanks Jane

Hi John
We have a Moody 38cc , shoal draft, 2 heads and found this really useful (guests/wet hanging space) we also have 2 kids and found that the pilot berth makes for a great 3rd cabin so everyone gets their own space. Never had a problem with the rudder grounding. She's a really good family cruiser. Jen

Hi John
We have a Moody 38cc , shoal draft, 2 heads and found this really useful (guests/wet hanging space) we also have 2 kids and found that the pilot berth makes for a great 3rd cabin so everyone gets their own space. Never had a problem with the rudder grounding. She's a really good family cruiser. Jen
Thanks Jen
Let me know if you are thinking about selling

Hi John, I am selling my Moody 38 (see the listings for details). I can say that the shoal draft stood us very well in storm winds and big seas outside of Padstow, yet we were able to get in much closer to shore than other boats in the Scillies. It means you can pick the best moorings.
As a couple we didn't ever use the forward head but it is a great shower as it keeps the main heads dry and also doubles up as a drying area.
Cheers,
Oli

Hi John, I am selling my Moody 38 (see the listings for details). I can say that the shoal draft stood us very well in storm winds and big seas outside of Padstow, yet we were able to get in much closer to shore than other boats in the Scillies. It means you can pick the best moorings.
As a couple we didn't ever use the forward head but it is a great shower as it keeps the main heads dry and also doubles up as a drying area.
Cheers,
Oli

Thanks Oli
What email can I reach you on? I dont have sufficient privileges to contact you via the forum. Hopefully you will spot this!
Thanks John

Back