• Have you included your external contact details on this post? Please include your email address and or phone number on your post otherwise non MOA members will not be able to reply to you

Wanted Roller headsail for a Moody 31 Mk II

Boat name
TROIKA
Berth
Suffolk Yacht Harbour
Boat type
Moody 31 MkII
Cruising area
East Coast
I am looking for a roller headsail for a Moody 31 Mk II that is smaller than the 135% Genoa she came with.
I still think in terms of hanked on head sails something that equates to a Working Jib / No 2 headsail for high 20 knots of wind.
Happy to hear about others ideas and experiences on high wind roller headsails for the 31.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am looking for a roller headsail for a Moody 31 Mk II that is smaller than the 135% Genoa she came with.
I still think in terms of hanked on head sails something that equates to a Working Jib / No 2 headsail for high 20 knots of wind.
Happy to hear about others ideas and experiences on high wind roller headsails for the 31.
Hi Keith
There are 2 options, 1 is to replace the 135% with a smaller sail, or 2, reef the 135% in higher winds.
Reefing the large sail can be difficult to get good shape without a padded or roped luff.
I have a 145% and a couple of 115% on my 31mk2.
I am selling the 145 and one of the 115s. And I will sail with a 115 and a cruising chute. I can take up to around a F6 with all the sail out, and be confident. Depending on the crew and the point of sail I will reef the jib a bit at 20kts. And progressively more on both sails thereafter.
I believe that will give me enough sail plan options for my South Coast and cross Channel sailing.
This hopefully will give you an idea about the options.
The 145 I have is old and baggy, almost a chute and ideal on a beam reach or downwind, but I don't want to be changing sails to go upwind or in heavier weather.
Ben

Hi Ben
Many thanks for the info and sharing your experience.
I bought the 31 Mk II last Oct and have sailed her twice so far and each time in F3/F4 so was happy with the 135%.
The headsail has a padded luff and is in reasonable nick for a 13 year old sail.

I guess I need to get more confidence in the 31 as full 135% in F6 goes against my gut feel and experience.
The last few years I have sailed a 49’ Oyster Sail Training yacht and would definitely be looking at a No 2 headsail in a F6.

My preference would be to have an un reefed 100% (or thereabouts) foresail in a F6 rather than a heavily reefed 135% carrying a lot of top hamper and a poor sail shape. But as you suggest, the trick is knowing when to swap the sails over as this is not something not ideally undertaken in a blow in The Channel.

Where are you based ? I am likely to be in Shotley from 1st April.
What age / condition / price for the 115% you are selling ?

Regards

Keith

Back