• Have you included your external contact details on this post? Please include your email address and or phone number on your post otherwise non MOA members will not be able to reply to you

Moody 42 (late 90s early 00s) Wanting to view

Jonathan Morrish

Jonathan Morrish
Boat name
Solace
Boat type
Moody 36(90s)
Hi. I have M36 2000 which I love. My late father had the M42 of same era. I am vaguely thinking of upgrading to a M42 2000s. Would anyone have a M42 2000s they would be prepared to let me look around? It doesn’t have to be for sale, I just want to see it with the M36 in my head, and remind myself of the space. I can then decide if I want to upgrade. Thanks

Where are you based. Goose is currently in Plymputh and laid up. Ww did look at many 36's when we were looking to purchase. There is clearly much more space and headroom.

We are not at the boat much this time of year and are surrently there when the wheather is suitable for maintainance but would be happy to show you round if a mutually convienient time can be found.

Sorry, didn’t say! I’m in Kent, so it would need to be Solent to Suffolk I think, but thanks Duncan.

There is one for sale on the hamble. 125k. Needs work, but you’ll get the feel.

Funnily enough I have a 36 and like you wanted to see a possible upgrade myself. I found not a huge difference, but at £125k and needing another 40k expenditure I found I was better off with my 36. She hasn’t sailed for over two years and most of the major equipment is original. I found the bilges had about 4 inches of brown water and was seriously needing a dehumidifier. I can’t believe how they can make the photos look so good.

Funnily enough I have a 36 and like you wanted to see a possible upgrade myself. I found not a huge difference, but at £125k and needing another 40k expenditure I found I was better off with my 36. She hasn’t sailed for over two years and most of the major equipment is original. I found the bilges had about 4 inches of brown water and was seriously needing a dehumidifier. I can’t believe how they can make the photos look so good.
David what do you assume needs £40k spending on. I would say water in the bildges is common as the seals on the lazerette are very dificult to get secure.

I went through the process when I bought Goose and probably spent £25k in 2017 on Sails rigging, upholstery fixing the engine up, radar and chart plotter etc. Unless the engine is shot then £40k is alot.

The main issue with the 36 is the headroom and door widths. My dad had the 42 and I don’t remember headroom issues in the galley or aft cabin. Also, more space generally. But yes, you are correct on spend. Tbh, I would imagine almost any Moody will need 25-30k. Once you’ve replace sails and electronics you’re at 15-20k. My idea is either upgrade, or keep the 36, continue upgrades, but at a later date have a full refurb. I spoke with SETAG, who are all ex-marine projects. I reckon for the VAT value on a new boat you would basically end up with near wnough new moody.

Hi. I have M36 2000 which I love. My late father had the M42 of same era. I am vaguely thinking of upgrading to a M42 2000s. Would anyone have a M42 2000s they would be prepared to let me look around? It doesn’t have to be for sale, I just want to see it with the M36 in my head, and remind myself of the space. I can then decide if I want to upgrade. Thanks
Hi Jonathan,

Our 2001 42 is out the water and based at Fambridge Yacht Haven on the River Crouch Essex, less than 1 hours drive from Dartford bridge.
Wanting to upgrade from a M 35 we looked at the M 36 & 40 before settling on the 42.
The big plus with the 42 is the longer aft deck which is great and the large lazerette lockers which swallow up dinghy, life raft, fenders, paddleboard etc with room to spare.
I will pm you my phone No.

Graham.

Back