Non Boat Specific Which Moody ?

Tom Shaw

Registered Guest
My wife and I are looking to buy a used moody to be based in Fowey, Cornwall and I'm hoping for some advice about which model might suit us best. Our budget means she will likely need to be pre 2000. I am 6ft 2in tall and we are used to the space of a 37ft Bavaria. We are looking for comfort rather than speed, however, I still want a fin keel and we are likely to cruise around S.W. UK, I.O.S. and northern France. There appears to be a confusing variety of models available (375, 376, 37c, 38, 38s, 38cc and probably others I'm not yet aware of) so I hope advice from this forum may offer some clarity. We would be very grateful for any help identifying models that would suit us, with the reasons why if possible. Thanks in advance. Tom and Gwyneth

Hi Tom,

To get to understand the different models of Moody you should study the Moody Archive which you can reach via a link on the MOA home page. For each model you get key dimensions, a description a photo, an accomodation plan , the years in which the model was produced and number built. The descriptions make it clear when a model is just an evolution of an ear;ier model, e.g. M41, M419, M422 and M425 were all basically the same hull, with changed accomodation and a sugar scoop stern added to the later ones.

Easy way to find the archive here:

Peter.

Thank you Peter that is very helpful.
I have also noticed that the association run events / rallies around the country and wondered if they might be a good opportunity to feel the difference. Unfortunately, I think I have just missed one at Brixham that would have been quite convenient for me.

Hi Tom,

You need to discuss that idea with the Captain of the branch organising the event you are targeting.

A bit of studying the archive and thinking about the sort of sailing you want to do should help you reduce your long list to a short list, so you know which models to focus on.

Peter.

Hi Tom, hope all is good with you.

The centre cockpit models are nice, but we found that headroom in the passage to the aft cabin, which in various models is also home to the galley and/or heads, was too much of a compromise - this is certainly true on the older 37 and the newer 35. The 376 and 38 are a bit better.

We prefer a pilothouse layout and have bought an Eclipse 33 which has a very generous interior for a 10m boat. We find it has great headroom, but then I'm not as tall as you...! Space in the galley and heads is very good - even has a separate shower area. Great cruising boat for 2 people and comfy enough for 4, but likely a little slower than your previous Bavaria as its 7ft shorter. We are moored in Penryn and you are welcome to come and have a look around.

Cheers,
Alex

Hi Alex, Great to hear from you and thanks for this very helpful advice. I hope you are well. If we get chance I would love to meet up and have a look around your eclipse. Unfortunately as a MOA guest I cannot access your contact details but you could email me on tomashaw@hotmail.com
Cheers Tom

Hi Tom, have dropped you an email.
Cheers,
Alex

Hi Tom,

To get to understand the different models of Moody you should study the Moody Archive which you can reach via a link on the MOA home page. For each model you get key dimensions, a description a photo, an accomodation plan , the years in which the model was produced and number built. The descriptions make it clear when a model is just an evolution of an ear;ier model, e.g. M41, M419, M422 and M425 were all basically the same hull, with changed accomodation and a sugar scoop stern added to the later ones.

Easy way to find the archive here:

Peter.
Peter, being inquisitive I followed your link to the archive to see what it said about my AC41 which was built in 2010. The only 2 models close to mine ceased production well before mine was built. Can you direct me to the reference to my AC41 in that archive?

Hi Kit,

The Moody Archive was a product of AH Moody & Sons and therefore necessarily predated the Moodys built by Hanse in Greifswald and includes no reference to them. It runs only to when A H Moody Was wound up in around 2005, the brand name being sold to Hanse. Other than the brand name, the only other connection the Hanse built Moodys have with the earlier boats is the same designer, Bill Dixon.

I guess for details of the Hanse built boats your best source would be Hanse or their agents in your country..

Peter.

Sorry I can't be of more help

Back