Moody Eclipse 33 33 Eclipse

Philip Taylor

Registered Guest
I have been looking at this boat for about 7 years, previously I owned a Westerly Pageant and a Mirage 27. I sold the Mirage in 2016 and bought a 55ft narrowboat which I took all over the canal network. Now I am being divorced and thinking about sailing again.
I have completed RYA Day Skipper Practical & Theory and have sailed the south coast from Tater Du to Brighton, the Isle of Wight and the Channel islands.
I am interested in an Eclipse because I am not as agile as I used to be.
I would be interested in your views.

Regards Philip Taylor

Hi Philip,
Noting your comment about agility, will you be sailing single-handed? I'm not the most agile of creatures and would find coming alongside solo very challenging. The E33 has a lot of freeboard, is quite beamy for her length and has very narrow side decks - all in the quest to provide the excellent below-deck accomodation. Lest you think I'm dissing the design, I wouldn't part with my E33 for any other vessel. (Though an E43 as a lottery win to enhance the fleet wouldn't be out of the question :).)
There are of course mechanical aids to help, such as those clever boathook ends that thread lines for you and you may be far better at lassoing cleats on pontoons than I am (success rate <10%). I consider midships cleats (not fitted as standard) as essential. If you search here you will find several alternatives for fitting them, including to the side deck and on the gibsheet tracks (as mine are, which I prefer as there is less clutter on the side decks).

There are no gates in the sidelines as standard and I don't think many owners have had them fitted, so you will likley need to be able to get over the top of the stanchions. One of those fender ladders may well benefit, I provide a little folding stool/step for those guests who can't reach the shrouds to heave themselves up.

Going forward, the coachroof handrails are sturdy and the lower shrouds provide plenty of help until you get to the foredeck. There's little there to hold onto, as you'd expect, but the textured surface (very good at getting that black algae stuff in it) does a good job with decent sailing shoes/boots at providing grip. I've rarely found it necessary to go forward while underway and delegate parking duties at the pointy end to tohers with better balance than mine.

Below deck, I doubt agility would be an issue. Once over the companionway threshold there are only 3 steps down to the cabin, but only two to the saloon seating area and there are plenty of grabrails to steady yourself. They are no steeper than you will find on thoer yachts, though possibly a tad narrower, so I'd make sure there is fresh anti-slip tape on them for grip.
The galley is linear and the passageway to the forepeak cabin is narrow enough that you can brace yourself easily and/or catch yourself should you stumble.
The heads compartment is luxurious, the forepeak cabin an excellent size with plenty of clothes storage space and the aft cabin (my preferred berth as a single 6'1" gentleman with a bit of a snoring issue) is very roomy for one, very snug for two.

Hope this helps,
Paul

Thank you Paul for your very informative message. Upon reflection maybe it's time to retire from sailing and to move to a motor boat. I just feel like I am giving up, but maybe it's more sensible.

Back