Moody Carbineer 44 Appreciate any hints on Carbineer specifics

Nicholas Drayer

Registered Guest
Hello everyone here - I'm excited to learn of this owner's association, it seems a great resource.
Tomorrow I'm going to have a first look at a 1972 Carbineer 44. Based on the few pictures I've seen and having had a phone call with the current owner, I believe it is in good nick, with motor having been recently rebuilt. The standing rigging and the sails are serviceable I'm told, but older.
Apart from the normal things a surveyor would look at, are there any hints & tips on what to look for with the Carbineer specifically? Particularly in regards to the structural elements? I'm busy Googling for information, but I haven't found much specific to the Carbineer.
I will have her professionally surveyed, but I'm hoping to check any obvious items myself first.
Thank you!
Nicholas

Hi Nicholas,

Any Carbineer will now be more than 40 years old, which is far from ancient for a GRP boat, but does mean that her condition depends more on how well all her previous owners have looked after than how well she was built.

Designed by Lauren Giles, moulded by Marine Construction (Woolston) Ltd. and fitted out by A H Moody & Sons between 1969 and 1979, a total of 32 were built, early ones 44' and later ones 46'. I suspect the small number, by now scattered around the world, accounts for the lack of replies to your question.

I'm afraid I've never set foot on one but know that Laurent Giles designed some great yachts.

Peter.

Thanks Peter - yes, this one is 50 years old. I spent some time on her yesterday with the owner - very nice guy. The boat is being used, it's at a slip. To my novice eye the deck, hull and thru-hulls look very good. Built like a tank. Bilges clean and dry. The engine is beautiful, well-maintained. It has two 100 imp. gallon fuel tanks. Portholes are original (good), windows seem ok, may need some replacements. Overall the structure and engine seem as good as the day it was built.

Standing and running rigging, sails, and canvas all need replacing. Windlass needs repairing. Much of the exterior teak would need replacing, and the hull needs painting. It has a furling mainsail, and I think the mast will need attention. The interior is serviceable, but the furnishings, lighting, heads and the galley are very tired (i.e., the teak looks good, everything else needs a refit).
Electric and electronics are ancient.
I'd want to fit a larger holding tank than the current 6 gallon, and a bow thruster... given it's keel it looks difficult to manoeuvre at the dock, and the current owner even said that would be something he'd definitely do.

So overall, I'm thinking this is a no -- given the asking price, the total cost is going to be too high including a refit (plus the inevitable surprises that will come up during working on her). I know of another Carbineer for sale, and I'll be travelling near where it is in May, so if that one is still for sale then, I'll may have a look at her.

Nicholas

Hi Peter, did you find a Carbineer in the end? I have an offer on one and had a survey, beautiful boats but as you have found, they are at a stage where they need updating if not done already. There were two on the market recently so they still pop up now and again. Thx. Andy

Back