Moody 39 Guidance Needed new purchase..

Richard Keane

Registered Guest
Hi I am seriously considering a 1978 M39cc
Seems in good condition and dry inside. Externally is ok. Are there any major issues to watch? Any resources as not much online.
Also pricing seems high but everything is at the moment
Thanks in advance
Rich

Hi Richard and welcome to the MOA,

This is an Angus Primrose designed yacht, pre dating the bulk of the Moody grp production yachts which were designed by Bill Dixon after Angus was lost at sea. She therefore won't have as much in common with the later yachts as they do with each other. However she was, like most of the later designs, built by Marine Projects, so should share the good build quality and construction techniques of the later designs.

I suspect she pre dates the use of isophthalic resins, so may be more vulnerable to osmosis than later Moodys.

As I'm sure you are aware, the condition and value of any 45 year old yacht depends more on how she has been cared for over her lifetime than how well she was built.

I'm afraid I've never been aboard a Moody 39 so can't offer any more detailed advice. 82 of them were built so there must be some owners within the MOA, hopefully one of them will be along soon.

Peter.

Hi Richard and welcome to the MOA,

This is an Angus Primrose designed yacht, pre dating the bulk of the Moody grp production yachts which were designed by Bill Dixon after Angus was lost at sea. She therefore won't have as much in common with the later yachts as they do with each other. However she was, like most of the later designs, built by Marine Projects, so should share the good build quality and construction techniques of the later designs.

I suspect she pre dates the use of isophthalic resins, so may be more vulnerable to osmosis than later Moodys.

As I'm sure you are aware, the condition and value of any 45 year old yacht depends more on how she has been cared for over her lifetime than how well she was built.

I'm afraid I've never been aboard a Moody 39 so can't offer any more detailed advice. 82 of them were built so there must be some owners within the MOA, hopefully one of them will be along soon.

Peter.
Hi Peter many thanks for the reply.
Yes the 39 seems to be a dark horse despite the number built. lots out there on the 33 & 36.
Saw a lovely 35 but was too expensive and small for live aboard.
Hull performance and cockpit size are a concern but internally seems ideal.

Will have a look tomorrow and see what she’s like, it’s either good bones and restore over next years or wait and buy something newer.

Back