Moody 29 Jib Furlex

Craig Ballingall

Craig Ballingall
Registered Guest
Hi all - so, I'm in the middle of buying a Moody 29 and part of the deal is I'm replacing all the rigging including the Furlex (old one isn't great and the manufacturer is now defunct) . I've been quoted on a Selden 104s and the 204s... I've now got up again, had a strong coffee and a bit of a sit and am wondering if anyone on here has any experience of the two? The 104s seems to be for yachts up to 30ft so I've got 4 inches or so to spare but is there another reason to get the 204s?

Hi Craig,

The only reason to go for the bigger one is that it's more robust, but the Moody 29 is not exactly over canvassed, so I would have thought the smaller one is capable of the job. Have you discussed the appropriate model with a friendly local rigger? I would recommend that.

Where Moody fitted furlers as original, they used Kemp or Selden (effectively the same company, marketed as Kemp in the UK) which is still trading strongly as Selden and Furlex is a trade mark of theirs so, if the boat has a Furlex, it's a Selden one and if it has another brand of genoa furler, it's not a Furlex.

When you buy her, you should join the MOA. The small subscription will pay for itself hadsomely through the knowledge available on this site making all the other membership benefits free.

Peter.

Hi Peter, thanks for the reply. It’s got a rotorstay on it at the moment but they’re not made anymore and the rigging is all way past due. I did talk to the rigging chap and he’s basically said either works but we’re at the top end of what the 104 is designed for.

I’ll be joining up with the moody owners association. Just waiting for our survey to complete next week and as long as nothing scary comes up our deal will be done

Hi Craig,

Hope the survey goes well and look forward to welcoming you as a full member of the MOA.

Peter.

Hi Craig.
I think Furlex were absorbed by Selden and the 104 and 204 are the rebranded Furlex 1000 and 2000.
So which to go for as the M29 is on the cusp? On my M29 I replaced an ancient Rotostay with a Furlex 1000 as the 2000 was eye wateringly expensive.

After several seasons experience (in sometimes "interesting" conditions!) I think the main difference comes down to drum size and how much reefing line it can hold when the Genny is full out. Contrary to Peters comment, if you have the standard M29 sail plan the Genny is a whopping 150%. Thats where the power comes from. So when fully deployed there is a hell of a lot of line on the drum. I use 8mm furling line (supplied with the furler) and unless you keep tension on it when deploying the Genny it can bunch up and almost jam inside the drum which can make furling the Genny tricky. However if you know this and ensure it rolls into the drum OK its not a problem. The whole set up is very robust, I'm happy with it and couldnt justify the extra spend on the 2000.

Hope this helps
regards Roger Davis

Back