Moody 38cc

Nick Massey

Temporary Member
Looking for help and advice, I’m quite interested in buying a Moody 38cc. I’m planning to retire next year and would like to sail down to Portugal spend a bit of time in the Med before crossing Atlantic for Caribean. have looked at both shoal draft and deep draft versions. Would like to know how the shoal draft compares and performs and sailing and also wether it rolls more at anchor. I’ve always had cruiser racers in the past and enjoy my sailing as much as the living on board, any thoughts and advice greatly received
thank you
Nick

Nick, to me the fin keel is always going to sail better to windward because in my opinion the leeway is going to be less. The reduced area of the keel will have some effect on rolling & there is going to be more weight lower down in the fin keel which will also have an effect on rolling (pendulum). Now how much I do not know. When I bought our M44 there were 2 for sale at Moody’s Swanwick, one with Sheel & one with fin. I viewed both & measured the keel stubs & they were the same length. If the Sheel was longer to give a better grip on the water to compensate for sailing to windward then I would have considered a Sheel keel. It was not so I bought fin.

David.

Back