Moody AC41 (Classic) New Moody 41 AC

• Thread starter Marco Quiros
  • Start date
M

Marco Quiros

Hello everyone, My name is Marco and I am here as a guest because I am interested in buying a new sailboat to live on board and to be honest I never thought that a Moody could be on my short list but it is like that. The new Moody 41 AC has struck me and my wife. But due to the pandemic we have not been able to see her in person and see her qualities.
I have some doubts and I hope that I can find the answers here.
1- Is there anything I should be aware of regarding new Moody boats?
2- I am a little concerned about the fuel capacity of only 140L, Any comments or ideas?
3- Despite the fact that only my wife and I live on the sailboat, she is not active in the matter of maneuvering and handling, she is of the "Passive Admiral" class, so that work falls to me alone. We come from a smaller 37 foot old school sailboat so I think the difference should not be very noticeable in terms of maneuvering and handling, more than it has a self-tacking jib. What do you tell me about it?
I appreciate any help and comments from you because this is a great step for us and honestly I am so hooked on this boat that it is difficult for me to find any fault.

Best regards and virtual beer round for everyone.

Hi Marco
We have a Moody 41 AC which we have owned for a couple of years and have been very pleased with her build quality and ease of handling. She can easily be sailed single handed and we have not found the fuel tank capacity a problem but then we do sail whenever possilbe. When we had our pre purchase survery done the surveyor commented on the strong and sturdy build quality and said it was a "lot of boat for the money".
I hope that this helps and wish you luck.

Hi Marco
We have a Moody 41 AC which we have owned for a couple of years and have been very pleased with her build quality and ease of handling. She can easily be sailed single handed and we have not found the fuel tank capacity a problem but then we do sail whenever possilbe. When we had our pre purchase survery done the surveyor commented on the strong and sturdy build quality and said it was a "lot of boat for the money".
I hope that this helps and wish you luck.

I really appreciate that you took the time to respond and I am glad that you are enjoying your sailboat. And if you allow me one more question, how about thermal insulation, especially in summer?

Hi Marco
We have mainly sailed her in the UK so far but find that even in the hottest weather she stays cool in the saloon and cabins, there are many opening ports which give a good flow of air throughout. We sleep in the large v berth and find it very comfortable at night.

Hey Marco!
We have purchased a Moody 41 AC classic (first launched 2012) early this year and sailed her from Trieste to Aegina, starting mid July and finishing mid october.
Based on our short experience, we fully agree with the previous comments about the high quality of this boat and its sound behaviour under sails.
Regarding the fuel tank, our boat has been fitted by the previous owner with and additional 80 liters tank installed in the starboard aft locker and this proved very handy in our jouney whereas engine was often used (220 hours) and harbour fees are quite high (Croatia, Italia) Marmara sea).
However, with our 55 HP Volvo engine and maintaining the engine at 1800-2000 RPM while cruising (7 knots on flat sea with a GORI propellor) we have measured a comsumption of less than 3 L/hour.
This means that, you might motor for about 45 hours (or #300 N miles) before refueling your 140 liter tank.
Best regards.
Chrsitine & François

Thanks for your feedback. I appreciate it.

Back