• Have you included your external contact details on this post? Please include your email address and or phone number on your post otherwise non MOA members will not be able to reply to you

Wanted SL Horizon 1500 Windlass

Bob Turnbull

Boat name
LILY
Berth
Brighton
Boat type
Moody 42 (2000s)
Cruising area
South Coast, Med
I am looking for parts for my Horizon 1500 especially the 10mm chain gypsy part number RC162. Would be happy to buy complete working or non working windlass.
Bob 07802370500

spares are available if you go on line (do a google for SL spares)- these are new old stock. He has most parts for this model

Many thanks Chris.

Hi Bob

Not sure I should use this thread, and I truly hope you did find the the parts you were looking for....
Could you tell me the exact chain size you use in your horizon 1500?
I happen to have the same windlass but am not sure about chain size...and my chain needs to be changed. Also I am not sure every horizon 1500 uses the same chain size.

Thanks in advance IMG_20230727_210615.jpg

Hi Bob

Not sure I should use this thread, and I truly hope you did find the the parts you were looking for....
Could you tell me the exact chain size you use in your horizon 1500?
I happen to have the same windlass but am not sure about chain size...and my chain needs to be changed. Also I am not sure every horizon 1500 uses the same chain size.

Thanks in advanceView attachment 32806
Hi Ilbon,
No problem, my windlass was fitted with an 8mm gypsy as my old chain was 8mm. I have upgraded to 10 mm chain and a 25k Rocna. All this involved was changing the gypsy, which was a fairly easy 10 minute job. The hard part was locating the10mm gypsy, another member kindly sold me his old windless..
Looking at your photo I would say yours is 8mm, easily checked with a vernier across the link width.
Hope that helps
Bob

Hi Bob

thanks for your explanation, it does help.
Now you got me thinking...shall I upgrade mine to a 10mm, too? But then I realised your boat is an M42 while mine is an M35, hence a 10mm chain may be well oversized for my M35. On the other hand I will upgrade to a 20kg Rocna from my actual 15kg one, which I will use as a spare. Any comment on this will be appreciated.

I may take off the gypsy for greasing/maintenance, maybe there is some tag where the size is indicated. I will follow this "cheating note" for the measurements

1690531111833.png

Ibon

Ilbon,
Many years ago I had M34 and that had 8mm chain, I left the chain but upgraded the anchor to 20k. I never had any problems with this set up and always felt it was sufficient for my needs.
My M42 never gave any doubt with the 8mm but I’m off on longer trips including the Med so wanted longer chain and a larger Rocna, hence the upgrade.
I’m sure you will be fine with your upgrade.
Bob

That is great advice Bob!
I will do so, and if I do more regular sailing I will think about the upgrade, but for now...I will only get the 20kg Rocna..

Back