• Have you included your external contact details on this post? Please include your email address and or phone number on your post otherwise non MOA members will not be able to reply to you

Wanted Smaller wheel 24-30"

Marc Smith

Marc Smith
Boat name
FOOL'S ERRAND
Berth
Deale MD
Boat type
Moody 376
Cruising area
Chesapeake Bay
Currently have a 36" wheel. and while I like the leverage getting around the darn thing while in the cockpit is a PITA.

anyone have a smaller wheel they want to sell/trade?

Marc

Thanks for the link dick, Yeah when at anchor or at dock, its easy enough to remove the the wheel and get it out of the way, but when sailing. there is no "scootching" around the wheel.. Is it the same tapered keyed shaft?

I can only say that a bit of scootching doesn't bother us!
BTW beware the hub spec of David's wheel might not match your boat.

with the 36" wheel on the 376 you can't scootch around the wheel with out standing up on the cockpit seat and stepping around the wheel. not a huge annoyance for me as I usually end up stepping out the aft side of the cockpit and then moving forward.

But "she who must be obeyed" has expressed her dislike, hence the search.

Hello. Didn’t have a measure on me unfortunately but it is 28/30”
Happy to swap for yours.
Sailing up from Cornwall to Portsmouth over the next 3 weeks. Happy to meet up.

Hello. Didn’t have a measure on me unfortunately but it is 28/30”
Happy to swap for yours.
Sailing up from Cornwall to Portsmouth over the next 3 weeks. Happy to meet up.
you might want to check where he's located :)

Can we meet somewhere in the middle, between the Chesapeak bay and Cornwall? :)

Ahhh.
I’ll get cracking then!!!

dont hold your breath on a mid atlantic meeting...LOL

if you were selling yours might be worth it to buy. just wish i could find a smaller wheel stateside to try. other wise I'll have to buy a edson wheel and then have the hub modified for the whitlock

Well I’m quite happy to sell you mine and post if you really want it. I was just thinking of putting and original back on when and if I ever decide to sell.

hey folks. found a wheel a stateside, but... its tweaked a bit... the outer ring of the wheel is sitting on a flat surface. so you can see the center hub is not quite right.

it is a split hub but they claim the spokes have been welded. obviously not welded properly to maintain the proper back space/dish

Is it salvagable? I could, in theory, cut/grind the welds out with a dremel and then re center and reweld to do it proper. or clamp it to something and start manhandling it to get it into shape.

Ive asked for a pic of the center hub with the top cover removed so I can see the welds. before I commit to buying.

kicker they are asking 295, on consignment. which is IMO is way too much. maybe 50-100 bucks tops... being that its crooked. If it was straight maybe 295..

any thoughts?

20220727_164412.jpg

Mark, more likely some fell against the wheel. You might try Vetus who do a really nice wheel with a wooden rim. Had one on a previous boat and the finish was superb and lasted really well, Fitted in 2003, we saw the boat a couple of years ago, still with the same wheel in good condition. You can knock 20% VAT off the price.

The problem with second hand wheels is the UK has at least two different sizes. 3/4" and 1" tapers I think. Vetus supply a tapered shim for all new wheels so they will fit as many steering systems as possible.

Last edited:
the above wheel is on its way to me for 50 bucks plus 50 shipping... we'll see what happens I figure I'll try it on for size first before i start trying to massage the shape...

Hi Marc

Is the wheel a Lewmar wheel ?

Dave

Marc

If you want to call me i can explain what is wrong with the wheel and how to fix it Lewmar had tooling issues with some of the earlier wheels

Dave

@David Ashton let me get the wheel in my hand and put eyes on in person. here is a photo with the hub cover plate removed.

Attachments

• processed-de11aa79-29c3-4751-974e-3fc5ea25e06c_aEk5dM5W.jpeg
    processed-de11aa79-29c3-4751-974e-3fc5ea25e06c_aEk5dM5W.jpeg
    482.8 KB · Views: 146
Ok
In a nut shell the holes in the hub were too big so the hub didn't clamp the spokes allowing the spokes to move slightly and this broke the tack welds

Dave

so heat to soften and then bend or grinding and reweld

Back