• Have you included your external contact details on this post? Please include your email address and or phone number on your post otherwise non MOA members will not be able to reply to you

For Sale Spinnaker pole and Liferaft cradle

John Winstanley

John Winstanley
Boat name
AURORA B
Berth
Largs
Boat type
Moody 336
Cruising area
West Coast Scotland/Clyde
1.Kemp Spinnaker pole , currently on a 336 open to offers
2. Pushpit mounting Life raft Cradle £50

John,
Do you have a length for the spinnaker pole?
Thanks
Andy

Hi Andrew, at the moment no. I stupidly forgot to measure it when I left this WE, but my neighbour is going to measure it for me. We think it’s between 2.5 to 3 mètres based on the length in comparison to the boat which is 10.3 metres, it’s telescopic. It came with the boat together with a spinnaker. We have never used it and are unlikely to which bus why we have decided to sell both. My neighbour has flown the spinnaker which apparently OK. When I get the exact length I will let you know.
John

Hi,

A spinnaker pole to fly a symmetric spinnaker on any boat should be J long - any longer and you will have trouble gybing it, any shorter will cause the sail to wrap round the forestay when reaching. From the Moody archive, J for a M336 is 4.11 m., so if your pole is a spinnaker pole intended for a M336, that should be its length, and it would be messy to fly the spi with any other length.

Selden suggest that a whisker pole, for poling out the genoa, should be longer than J - they recommend the length of the foot of the sail you want to pole out, which can easily be 1.3J, but most cruisers find a standard spi pole quite big enough to handle and stow on the foredeck, so don't go any bigger.

J for a M31 is 3.81 m., so 4.11m would work as a whisker pole, but be a bit big to stow on a M31.

Peter.

Thanks for that information. I am pretty sure the previous owners used this one so it will probably telescope out to 4 metres, how much it will shorten to I am not sure but there appears to be scope to shorten it more than it is at present

Hi John,

That's great, didn't appreciate it's telescopic - that means it should readily adjust to the 3.81 the M31 requires to fly a symmetric kite.

Peter.

Hi John,
Thanks for your reply. If it's still available after your neighbours measured it then I may be interested - need to know that it telescopes down enough for a M31 (discussed by Peter) as will be using it to pole out Genoa and possibly asymmetric chute when running deep down wind.

If it's sold before then no worries; would save me hoping the family don't notice another boat purchase!
Andy

Hi John,
Thanks for your reply. If it's still available after your neighbours measured it then I may be interested - need to know that it telescopes down enough for a M31 (discussed by Peter) as will be using it to pole out Genoa and possibly asymmetric chute when running deep down wind.

If it's sold before then no worries; would save me hoping the family don't notice another boat purchase!
Andy
Thanks, I will let you know

Hi John,

Andy
Andrew, it measures fully extended 5.9 m but collapses down to 3.3, it’s got 3 adjustment points in between those extremes at 66cm intervals. John

Please will you put external contacts on this post! You are only reaching members at the moment

Andrew, it measures fully extended 5.9 m but collapses down to 3.3, it’s got 3 adjustment points in between those extremes at 66cm intervals. John
Hi John,

This sounds like the pole I am looking for.

On the latest Selden brochure, I am after part number 084-084-60 (3.3m but extends to 5.9m). I've included an extract from the brochure below.

Can you confirm the outer diameter is somewhere near 84mm?

Where is the pole located? I am in Plymouth.

Many thanks,
Tom

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220826-212038.jpg
    Screenshot_20220826-212038.jpg
    782.1 KB · Views: 158
I suspect it is, I will see if I can get the diameter measurement. That is probably the easy bit, the pole is in Largs. We live in Merseyside but do travel down to Plymouth for the Roscoff ferry which we are doing tomorrow as it happens and again in October. I might be able to get a picture for you if that helps? John

Please will you put external contacts on this post! You are only reaching members at the moment
Thanks for the advice. I am sorry to be abit dim where IT is concerned but I don’t really understand what you mean, is it how I post the replies?
John

I suspect it is, I will see if I can get the diameter measurement. That is probably the easy bit, the pole is in Largs. We live in Merseyside but do travel down to Plymouth for the Roscoff ferry which we are doing tomorrow as it happens and again in October. I might be able to get a picture for you if that helps? John
Hi John,

A picture would help. Are the end connections (I'm sure they have a proper name) and the locking pieces used to extend the pole all in good condition?

What are the chances of you coming to Plymouth! An October date in Plymouth would suit just fine, I'm in no rush.

How much are you looking for it?

Thanks

As far as I am aware it’s all in working order. I have not used it, it came with the boat. I will ask the chap who looks after my rigging to check it over, I will get the diameter and see if I can get a picture. I will be down in Plymouth in the middle of October, the only problem is transporting it by car because it’s too long to go inside, but that is perhaps a bridge to cross if you decided it was what you wanted.

Donald, the clips at either end are metal I presume aluminium. The only plastic bits are the buttons for fixing the poles length. I am not an expert on spinnaker poles but my neighbour on the pontoon is a Yachtmaster instructor with a lot of spinnaker experience and he says it’s all in good condition. I wound be happy with£125, if you want to see, as I said it’s in Largs yacht haven. John

Donald, the clips at either end are metal I presume aluminium. The only plastic bits are the buttons for fixing the poles length. I am not an expert on spinnaker poles but my neighbour on the pontoon is a Yachtmaster instructor with a lot of spinnaker experience and he says it’s all in good condition. I wound be happy with£125, if you want to see, as I said it’s in Largs yacht haven. John
Hi John,

Donald may well beat me to it, but if not I will purchase it at £125.

I bought my boat from a gentleman in Arisaig, and over the bank holiday weekend, agreed to visit him on the weekend of 8th/9th of October. I could pop in on the way to pick it up and it gives me a bit of time to work out how I am going to get it on the car!

Thank you,
Tom

Donald and Tom, I am out of the country at present and the earliest I would be back in Largs will be the last week in September. However my son who is a part owner may be up I think the second weekend in September so he could meet you Donald, I will contact him to make sure. Tom I could be up the 8/9th October as well, if need be assuming there’s no real stroke because I will be coming straight from London by train. John

John,
Sorry I didn't get back to you as been away. Glad you have other interest as was wrong size for me.
Andy

John,
Sorry I didn't get back to you as been away. Glad you have other interest as was wrong size for me.
Andy
Thanks for letting me know, sorry to be slow in replying I have been on the move quite abit

Hi John,

Donald may well beat me to it, but if not I will purchase it at £125.

I bought my boat from a gentleman in Arisaig, and over the bank holiday weekend, agreed to visit him on the weekend of 8th/9th of October. I could pop in on the way to pick it up and it gives me a bit of time to work out how I am going to get it on the car!

Thank you,
Tom
Tom I have added 4 pictures of the pole which show the end fitting etc.
John

Attachments

• 01CCFD96-84B9-4133-AAAA-16213FC489A4.jpeg
    01CCFD96-84B9-4133-AAAA-16213FC489A4.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 154
  • C0270B7D-324E-4A76-AE2C-24134EF95833.jpeg
    C0270B7D-324E-4A76-AE2C-24134EF95833.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 153
  • 767F586E-C00E-4125-A06E-844D6964CC1F.jpeg
    767F586E-C00E-4125-A06E-844D6964CC1F.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 153
  • 1C363F6C-C7A0-4A87-BEFE-E730D2CF0CF7.jpeg
    1C363F6C-C7A0-4A87-BEFE-E730D2CF0CF7.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 153
Tom I have added 4 pictures of the pole which show the end fitting etc.
John
Thanks John. I plan to drive up half way on Thursday the 6th of Oct and then will be able to view it on Friday the 7th. Looking forward to it will private message you

Tom I have spoken to the marina, if you buzz them on the barrier when you arrive they will let you in. You will probably be able to park just by the marina building. They will give you the code for the gate which is just by the car park. If you are travelling from down south try to avoid the M8 after about 3pm it gets very busy around Glasgow. The quickest route is via Lochwinoch and Kilburnie on the A760. When you get to the T junction at traffic lights in Largs turn left and it’s shortly after the golf club. John

John, to explain - I was commenting on two things, neither have to do with IT with which you are very familiar by the looks of it:

1) Because this is a members association, outsiders - that is non members, can view the posts in some forums, this one and the Boats for Sale one, but they can't post replies. This means that if a non member wishes to buy your kit - there is no way they can contact you.
2) It is a condition of posting on this forum that you include your external contacts in your post.

So at the moment your "audience" is only MOA members. As it happens you may have a buyer from within our ranks, which is great, but you may not have been so lucky!! :)

Kindest

Neil

Tom I have spoken to the marina, if you buzz them on the barrier when you arrive they will let you in. You will probably be able to park just by the marina building. They will give you the code for the gate which is just by the car park. If you are travelling from down south try to avoid the M8 after about 3pm it gets very busy around Glasgow. The quickest route is via Lochwinoch and Kilburnie on the A760. When you get to the T junction at traffic lights in Largs turn left and it’s shortly after the golf club. John
Thanks John, all sounds good. And thank you for the comprehensive private message as well. Will give you a text later in the week. Looking forward to seeing it on Friday

John, to explain - I was commenting on two things, neither have to do with IT with which you are very familiar by the looks of it:

1) Because this is a members association, outsiders - that is non members, can view the posts in some forums, this one and the Boats for Sale one, but they can't post replies. This means that if a non member wishes to buy your kit - there is no way they can contact you.
2) It is a condition of posting on this forum that you include your external contacts in your post.

So at the moment your "audience" is only MOA members. As it happens you may have a buyer from within our ranks, which is great, but you may not have been so lucky!! :)

Kindest

Neil
Thanks for explaining that Neil, having only posted on the technical forum before I had nit appreciated that. John

Back