SABRAGE
Berth
Portsmouth
Boat type
Moody 42 A/C Ketch
Cruising area
South Coast
Hello,
I am looking at a Moody 42 and I have a couple of questions if anyone who knows them can help before I can get to the boat to have a proper look (lockdown...!)?

1 - Sailing ability. We want a big solid boat (which the M42 AC certainly is) but I am curious about any specific things/foibles that people may have to say about them? Also, she has a big fixed, 3-blade prop. Has anyone fitted a folding prop (something like a max-prop) and found it made a significant difference?

2- Running backstays on the Mizzen. I have seen somewhere that these are only required is using the mizzen staysail - can anyone confirm or deny? (Also, where is the tack of the mizzzen staysail generally fitted in these? Not sure it will go to the mast step because of the coach roof?)

3 - Wind generation. I would like to fit a decent wind generator. A pole at the stern is difficult because of the boom overhang, and the radar is at the mizzen spreaders. Can anyone confirm if there is space further down the mizzen mast for something like a Rutland 1200 (out of the way of the Jumper Stay)?

4 - Sprayhood - I have seen a picture of one with a sprayhood but think it must have to be a bit low to go under the main boom? Anyone out there got one with a sprayhood and an opinion?

5 - I don't think a full cockpit enclosure will work (due to the high bridge deck, even if the mizzen wasn't in the way) but has anyone managed to fit a usable bimini?

Thanks in advance,

Rob

Back