Moody 27 Exhaust and cooling water below the waterline ?

Gary Howe

Registered Guest
Hi looked at possible Moody 27 today, I've never had a Deisel engine it was raw water in which then apparently gets pumped out with the exhaust fumes below the waterline. Is that normal, how can you tell if the water pump is working if it's pumped out below the water line ? There was no smoke from the engine which seems positive, I assume fumes would have risen out of the water ?
May seem naive questions but as I said I'm not that familiar with deisels and never seen one where you could visually see the water out to confirm the pump is working.
Appreciate any feedback.
Gary

Hi Gary,
Exhaust exiting on or below the waterline is a feature of virtually all Moody yachts so quite normal.
The water in the exhaust acts to both cool and silence the exhaust.
Some owners fit an exhaust temperature monitor if they are concerned about lack of raw water cooling due to a pump failure or intake blockage.

You get used to the noise it makes when it’s working as it should. Quite different if the water flow stops.

When you get your boat, you might think of getting yourself a one-day RYA Diesel engine course at a local training centre. Even if you’re going to get someone else to do your regular routine engine maintenance, the course will teach you the basics that could get you out of trouble one day if the engine packs up at sea.

Back