Boat name
LIBERTY
Berth
Pittwater, Sydney NSW
Boat type
Moody Eclipse 43
Cruising area
Australian East Coast
Does anyone know what type of finish was used on internal woodwork for a 1990 43 Eclipse. Would it normally be the same type of finish on all Moody boats of that time. If so what was normally used? The 43 Eclipse I am looking at purchasing (survey on 29th June) has interior woodwork in reasonable condition but there are some areas that need some TLC as they have black staining near the edges and just general grubbiness around handles etc particularly in the galley. I am considering using a bleaching cleaner in the worst areas but it would be good to know what the surface finish is before I start. Thanks in advance for any help that anyone can provide.

Attachments

• Moody 43 new images 01.JPG
    Moody 43 new images 01.JPG
    371.2 KB · Views: 414
  • Moody 43 new images 08.JPG
    Moody 43 new images 08.JPG
    396.4 KB · Views: 496
  • Moody 43 new images 16.JPG
    Moody 43 new images 16.JPG
    388.3 KB · Views: 282
In the 90's they used a spray finish, the brand was 'Jaxa'. Many owners get good results on restoration using typically available modern yacht varnish like International, building depth with gloss and finishing off with a couple of coats of satin.
Beware sanding damaged areas, the veneer is quite thin. Use paint stripper instead.
If you buy the boat and join us you'll find plenty of advice on the Tech Forum.

Hi Peter,

Having purchased a 43 eclipse myself recently I am curious what your approach ended up being in regards to giving some TLC to some of the woodwork. Can you walk me through your process and the thing you used?

Hope to hear from you soon!

Hi Peter,

Having purchased a 43 eclipse myself recently I am curious what your approach ended up being in regards to giving some TLC to some of the woodwork. Can you walk me through your process and the thing you used?

Hope to hear from you soon!
Jo, can you please ask this in the Technical Forum? Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back