Boat name
MARIANA
Berth
Minneapolis, MN
Boat type
Moody 47
Cruising area
US East Coast
HI! I'm currently looking at a Moody 419/422/425 for a two year sabbatical with my family. My main concern is that the boat might be too small for us. Among many questions I have is the headroom. I know the pass through is 5' 2", but what is the headroom in the aft cabin and main salon? I'm 6'0". Does anyone have any experience living aboard these vessels with young children? What is your experience of the space available?

Thank you in advance!

Chris,

I am on board First Degree at the moment and have just measured the headroom. At the bottom of the companionway steps in the main salon it’s 190 cms. It’s the same height standing by the engine access panel in the aft cabin.

I can’t comment about having children on board. However, we often sail with four adults and there is plenty of room for us.

Regards,

Brian.

Chris, My M41 is almost identical to the M419. By guesswork, Brian's figure for the saloon is about the same as mine. However the arrangement in the aft cabin for M41 & M419 is not the same is Brian's M425. The height available in a M419 may be just a little less as there is a cabinet immediately aft of the engine on both M41 & M419. Also the floor slopes up as you move towards the bunk. I am unlikely to be at my boat until next weekend and will try to remember to measure for you. Micky

Thank you both!

Chris, I took some measurements on my M41 last weekend.
Main saloon immedioately fwd of the main hatch 193 cms
Main salon fwd next to compression post 190 cms
Bunk cabin opposite fwd heads 180 cms
Forepeak 182 cms
Aft cabin fwd part next to heads door 175 cms floor slopes up as you move further aft.

Amount of space depends on what you are used to. Regarding children ours (2 of them) were young teenagers when we purchased our boat in Hamburg and sailed her back to the Solent. They were already competent dinghy sailors. We had spent a week camping in and from a Wayfarer 15ft dinghy and had been chartering boats for 1 or 2 weeks for several years so were used to living afloat.
Hope that this helps

Micky, thank you! Those are very helpful numbers. I really appreciate it, enjoy the M41!

Back