Moody 27 moody 27 - opinions?

Jean Lambert

Registered Guest
Hello, i m Jean from france, i m planning on buying a moody 27 wich is for sale near my house. i was reading that she was slow, but when i look on the rating for regatta ( groupe HN osiris) for the moody 28, wich is pretty much the same boat from what i understood, the rate is 15 wich is pretty good.
if some 27 's owner could give me a quick review on the boat as far as sailing goes, it would be very nice, thank you, take care and happy new year !!
Jean.

Hi Jean and welcome,

I've never sailed a M27, but it's fair to describe the Moody range as cruising yachts that make fast passages. Despite some having good IRC ratings (i don't know the rating system you quote) they don't have a great reputation as race boats. Bill Dixon designed effective hulls but the masthead rig carried on most Moodys makes them less close winded than fractionally rigged boats and it's usually the windward leg of a race which determines the result.

Nonetheless, many Moody owners race in their local club races and get a great deal of pleasure from it. Those that get really bitten by the racing bug tend to move on to a design which can better match its handicap.

Hopefully, a M 27 owner will be along soon to write of his experience of the model.

Peter.

Thank you. As long as she' s pleasant to sail, that' s good enough for me ! And i guess close hauled is not to bad, if i look at the keel weight ratio.( it's the fin keel version)
Have a good day.

Hi Jean
I have a moody 27 bilge keeler and sail solo. My sail rig is in mast furling and it certainly helps solo sailing. She will easily cruise at 4/5 knots and I find her to be a really responsive and safe boat. I don't do racing and am quite happy just pottering about in her. in the 28 the cabin is slightly different and the length is actually shorter than the 27.I have had mine for 7 years and have no intention of selling her or stop sailing her.
I recommend the 27

Thank you. As long as she' s pleasant to sail, that' s good enough for me ! And i guess close hauled is not to bad, if i look at the keel weight ratio.( it's the fin keel version)
Have a good day.
Hi Jean,

Taking your reply and Graham's together it sounds like this is the right boat for you. What I didn't write about Bill Dixon's designs is their superb balance - they perform best if you keep them fairly flat and the helm is beautifully light. I hope you buy her and enjoy her.

Peter.

Back