Moody 35 Moody 35 - 2 questions

Tim Matcham

Registered Guest
Hi all
I’m considering buying a Moody 35

I have two questions

1. Any known problems I should look out for on these boats?

2 How well does she go to windward?

Interested in hearing from anyone with Moody 35 experience.

Many thanks Tim

Hello Tim,
apart from the regular recommended checks that re usually checked , make sure to check:
  • The chainplates (most likely the previous owner have opened access in the woodwork) if not you have to rely on stainless steel outside and their current state
  • Engine: rule out any engine leaks (exhaust mixer, exhaust elbow, propeller shaft) and if she still under her original engine make sure to run a pressure test and a monitor temperature upon running for ±30 min
as for windward performance it all depends on your expectations and previous experience. personally i had that as a concern when i got mine (bilge keel) and feel much difference. note i am cruiser and not racing :)

good luck and hope to see you as a member soon :)

Hello Tim,
apart from the regular recommended checks that re usually checked , make sure to check:
  • The chainplates (most likely the previous owner have opened access in the woodwork) if not you have to rely on stainless steel outside and their current state
  • Engine: rule out any engine leaks (exhaust mixer, exhaust elbow, propeller shaft) and if she still under her original engine make sure to run a pressure test and a monitor temperature upon running for ±30 min
as for windward performance it all depends on your expectations and previous experience. personally i had that as a concern when i got mine (bilge keel) and feel much difference. note i am cruiser and not racing :)

good luck and hope to see you as a member soon :)
Thanks Toni, great advice, much appreciated. I’ll probably go for a fin keel as although I’ll be mostly cruising I’m used to racing and like to be able to sail as close as possible.

Back