Moody 422/425 Moody 422/425

Angela Kenning

Temporary Member
Hi,
I am looking to buy a yacht and have fallen in love with the moody 422 and 425.
The plan is to finish work end of 2024 and go sailing with my partner for a year or two.
We are based in Australia but will travel to deliver our new yacht.
Is this the right place to ask if the 422/425 are great blue water cruising boats and if anyone is selling theirs?
My last yacht was a Roberts 45ft ketch which I had owned with now ex husband for 11 years.
Appreciate any advice or guidance.
Many thanks,
Angela

Hi Angela and welcome to the MOA,

You made a great choice of boat to fall in love with, these Moody models have a great reputation as blue water cruisers - we have never done that with Wild Thyme in the 13 years we have owned her but she has behaved impeccably cruising the North Sea, the Irish Sea, the English channel and Biscay.

Going to windward, the helm remains well balanced until she's over pressed (about when the lee toerail reaches the water) and then you find that putting a reef in the main reduces heel, rebalanced the helm and increases speed. She needs 10 kts. of breeze to come alive under white sails, so some form of downwind sail is a great help for light airs.

The basic boats are built very solidly but, as I'm sure you're aware, the state of all the machinery, rig, gear and accessories has more to do with how she has been cared for over the past 30 odd years than how she was built.

This board is the best for finding out about the various Moody models - and a brief description of each model can be found in the Moody Archive:

For buying, you would be better off posting on the Moody Boats For Sale / Wanted board.

Hope ypu find what you're looking for.

Peter.

Thanks Peter,

I am going to join as a temporary member, thanks for your reply on the Moody's performance.
Very much looking forward to becoming a Moody owner and getting out there on the ocean.
Thanks again.
Angela

Back