Non Boat Specific Moodys in Scotland

Robert Meredith

Temporary Member
Hi,

I am wondering if there are any super helpful owners out there within driving distance of Edinburgh who wouldn't mind me looking at / sailing on their boat. I have a piece of paper that says I am a Coastal Skipper so not a total beginner, but rusty cruising!

I have just joined as a temporary member. I am boatless at the moment. I used to own a Parker 275 on the Firth of Forth where I live (well in Edinburgh). I am planning to buy my next boat winter 22/23 and Moodys are definitely in the frame. However I have never been on one and I am having an existential meltdown about centre vs aft cockpit!

The boat will be parked on the Clyde to start off with and used for sailing Scotland and maybe further afield, probably nowhere hot as that may be the next boat. I will also live and work on it a bit (only probably 3-5 days at a time) due to going mad working from home in my small flat in Edinburgh!

So anything from 33 feet upwards is my idea. Late 80s or 90s is my preference. Have I missed any potential models? I realise there is a big volume difference between a 336 and a 38 (about 40% bigger by displacement) but I feel like I need to have a look at some to see if the larger boats scare me sailing single handed or with a lightweight crew. I also feel like if I bought a 38 I might then never need another boat.....!

336 - AC
35 - CC
36 - CC
376 - CC
38 - CC
S38 - AC

Hi Robert,

The Scottish MOA branch are running a get-together at Port Edgar on Saturday the 30th April.
You should consider coming along and hopefully one or two of our members will have sailed to the event and you might be able to "work" a look over their boats.
If nothing else you'd be able to meet a few boat owners and discuss the benefits of owning a Moody.
Keep an eye on your emails for our Secretary's email blasts prompting the event.
Hope to see you there.

Kindest regards, Hamish Ramsay. Scottish MOA Branch Captain.

Hi,

I am wondering if there are any super helpful owners out there within driving distance of Edinburgh who wouldn't mind me looking at / sailing on their boat. I have a piece of paper that says I am a Coastal Skipper so not a total beginner, but rusty cruising!

I have just joined as a temporary member. I am boatless at the moment. I used to own a Parker 275 on the Firth of Forth where I live (well in Edinburgh). I am planning to buy my next boat winter 22/23 and Moodys are definitely in the frame. However I have never been on one and I am having an existential meltdown about centre vs aft cockpit!

The boat will be parked on the Clyde to start off with and used for sailing Scotland and maybe further afield, probably nowhere hot as that may be the next boat. I will also live and work on it a bit (only probably 3-5 days at a time) due to going mad working from home in my small flat in Edinburgh!

So anything from 33 feet upwards is my idea. Late 80s or 90s is my preference. Have I missed any potential models? I realise there is a big volume difference between a 336 and a 38 (about 40% bigger by displacement) but I feel like I need to have a look at some to see if the larger boats scare me sailing single handed or with a lightweight crew. I also feel like if I bought a 38 I might then never need another boat.....!

336 - AC
35 - CC
36 - CC
376 - CC
38 - CC
S38 - AC
Robert I used to have a m35 which was relatively easy to sail single handed. It had in mast reefing for mainsail which once you learned how to use was a dream to operate.
I have now downsized to m31 the 35 was getting a bit difficult to board from dinghy, (cc with high freeboard)
William

Hi Robert,

The Scottish MOA branch are running a get-together at Port Edgar on Saturday the 30th April.
You should consider coming along and hopefully one or two of our members will have sailed to the event and you might be able to "work" a look over their boats.
If nothing else you'd be able to meet a few boat owners and discuss the benefits of owning a Moody.
Keep an eye on your emails for our Secretary's email blasts prompting the event.
Hope to see you there.

Kindest regards, Hamish Ramsay. Scottish MOA Branch Captain.
I may actually try and head to the west coast one! I'm in emai contact thanks!

Back