Non Boat Specific Skeg Rudder of the Moody

Alex Vulcan

Registered Guest
hi,

i am a new joiner to this group and hopefully a proud Moody owner soon :)
in my search, i was absolutely sure I want a boat with skeg rudder and this is how i discovered the Moody designs. I immediately felt in love with the canter cockpit design and aft double bed plus all storage and many more..

the only item i have a doubt (or actually, more of a question) is related to the skeg rudder.

my question is: will this skeg protect the rudder good enough if it does not extend to the entire length of the rudder?
i would probably imagine that in case of a hit, rudder will break below the skeg but still have like 60% of it to survive.

thanks in advance for your opinion

Attachments

• skeg.jpg
    skeg.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 128
The Moody rudder on the right has a half skeg. This means that it has a semi-balanced rudder making for a lighter helm. All Moodys that I have looked at have this design. I have not heard of skeg problems in normal use. Moodys that I know have a substantial rudder stock (post) and the rudder has embedded in it a stainless steel web of reinforcement.

If you have a really hard strike on a rock then to my mind having the lower pivot some way up from the bottom means that it is less likely to get damaged; although you could lose the bottom part of your rudder. If you end up in this situation then I suspect that you might have greater problems elsewhere. Problems that I have heard is osmosis within the rudder so do check for that - do a search in this website and ensure that your surveyor reports on this.

Back