• Have you included your external contact details on this post? Please include your email address and or phone number on your post otherwise non MOA members will not be able to reply to you

Wanted Torqeedo outboard engine

John Abecasis

John Abecasis
Boat name
Paddington IV
Berth
Hythe Marina
Boat type
Moody Eclipse 38
Cruising area
Solent
I am looking for a second hand Torqeedo preferably equal to a 3HP 2 stroke outboard.
Please contact me on 07732632851 or Email johnabecasis@gmail.com

Don’t buy one unseen, we had a brand new one when we crossed the Atlantic in 2018, it had only been used about 8/10 small trips when it died, nobody could fix the thing until we got to Guadalupe where the only dealer was, it cost 350 euros because a flimsy seal in the leg had leaked, also the pain was coming off because the aluminium has corrosion. There is a delay on the throttle of quite a few second, very annoying and makes manoeuvres tricky, I believe the new ones are now work straight away

I am looking for a second hand Torqeedo preferably equal to a 3HP 2 stroke outboard.
Please contact me on 07732632851 or Email johnabecasis@gmail.com
Don’t buy one unseen, we had a brand new one when we crossed the Atlantic in 2018, it had only been used about 8/10 small trips when it died, nobody could fix the thing until we got to Guadalupe where the only dealer was, it cost 350 euros because a flimsy seal in the leg had leaked, also the pain was coming off because the aluminium has corrosion. There is a delay on the throttle of quite a few second, very annoying and makes manoeuvres tricky, I believe the new ones are now work straight away
Hi John, thanks for the tip. It's a neighbour that wants to get rid of the dinghy and outboard, it's 6 years old but hardly used, but I will pay attention at the tips you have given me. I think he will probably ask for an unrealistic price anyway so perhaps I will wait till the next boat show.
Regards
John

If you but it make sure you get the seal changed. When they work they are good but I wouldn’t have one for blue water sailing

We bought a Torqeedo about three years ago and I would echo John H's comments totally. It is corroding fast and it got difficult to rotate (steer). I had to take the thing apart to free it up/grease it. The forwards/backwards is from the throttle control - you rotate the throttle handle one way or the other to select. I am always getting it wrong - it is not intuitive. The throttle delay is very disconcerting. John A if you go electric, try and find one with a separate direction control (i.e. a switch), one that is less likely to corrode in a salt atmosphere, and one with no delay on the throttle. Bit like the good old petrol jobs, actually.... 07816 010989 simon@brodyfamily.plus.com

Back