Moody 40 (70s & 80s) Moody 40cc 1979, how many passengers?

Nuno Maia

Registered Guest
Hello Moody sailors,

Dreaming about buying an old moody 40cc.
It’s as 1979 and had a big refit 11 years ago but it’s pretty ok’d at the moment.

The main question is:
Is it possible to increase the number of “passengers” ? At the moment it states only 6 on the papers. It’s a 3 cabin boat, such a low number is quite strange.

How could I get some document to help me?
Will Hanse help?

Regards

Nuno from Portugal

Hi Nuno and welcome to the MOA,

To answer your last question first, I do not believe Hanse will offer any support in respect of Moodys built before they bought the brand - the brand name is the only thing they bought.

On number of passengers, when the boat in question was built, prior to the first issue of the EU Recreational Craft Directive, the UK had no legislation regarding a limit on the number of passengers a private leisure vessel could carry - it was left to the judgement of the master of the vessel along with many other things which were regulated more formally in other EU states. In these circumstances, neither AH Moody & sons nor Marine Projects (the builders) specified any limit on such things. Where the vessels were exported new to a state requiring such things to be specified, it was left to the agent in the importing country to do whatever they found necessary to meet the requirements of local legislation. In the case of second hand sales, the local legislation was sometimes ignored and at other times the buyer, as importer, provided whatever nummbers he thought appropriate.

In the light of this, if you want to change the maximum number of passengers permitted, I suspect your best option is to approach whatever authority this number is registered with in your country, with arguments as to why a dufferent number us safe.

Hooe you have a great Christmas.

Peter.

Back