• Have you included your external contact details on this post? Please include your email address and or phone number on your post otherwise non MOA members will not be able to reply to you

Wanted Steering wheel boss / spacer

Boat name
WINTER MAGIC
Berth
Port Solent
Boat type
Moody 346
Wanted steering wheel boss / spacer for moody 345. Steve 07767357940

Attachments

• 20230720_123548.jpg
    20230720_123548.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 129
Hi Stephen,

Is it the white piece between the wheel and the pedestal that you're after? That is the brake for the wheel -- the one in your photo is missing the threaded piece which screws into the hole in the part protruding to starboard.

I'm afraid I don't have one to spare but, if anyone knows how to get one, it's Cliff Mogridge of Yacht Steering Services:

He's a busy man and not easy to get in touch with, but very helpful when you get him.

Peter.

Hi cliff yes it's the white plastic piece the pick is off a freinds boat mine is completely missing and creates a lot of play prob have to make a spacer up
Regards Steve

Stephen I do not think that the brake parts you are missing will have any affect on play. If the play is front to rear then I think you will find that there is a spacer missing inside the pedestal. There should be a grease impregnated washer towards the front end of the shaft which is to lubricate the bearing & also a thrust washer at the rear of the grey bearing behind the wheel. If the play is up & down then it’s the bearings or the bolts for horseshoe shaped mounting for the ball race has come loose allowing the bearing to move. The other thought is if someone has shortened the tubular spacer allowing front to rear play.

David.

Attachments

• whitlock_1990_constellation_400 (1).pdf
    332.1 KB · Views: 147
Stephen I do not think that the brake parts you are missing will have any affect on play. If the play is front to rear then I think you will find that there is a spacer missing inside the pedestal. There should be a grease impregnated washer towards the front end of the shaft which is to lubricate the bearing & also a thrust washer at the rear of the grey bearing behind the wheel. If the play is up & down then it’s the bearings or the bolts for horseshoe shaped mounting for the ball race has come loose allowing the bearing to move. The other thought is if someone has shortened the tubular spacer allowing front to rear play.

David.
Thanks David thats very helpfull of you I will check it out
Steve

Hi Stephen,

It's more than just a spacer, if equipped with the missing threaded piece, tightening that oiece by hand clamps the wheel in position so it won't turn, loosen it again and the wheel turns - it's a wheel brake. If you get in touch with Cliff (not me!) he may well pit you onto a source for the correct parts.

Absence of the brake should not cause play in the steering, that's more likely to do with poorly adjusted cables. Adjustment is at the quadrant, but don't set them too tight as that causes excessive wear in the conduits.

Peter.

Stephen - your details say 346, in which case your steering is more likely the Constellation 100. This is a simpler design and the shaft is held in place by 2 circlips - see diagram.
On my 346, the wheel developed fore-aft play of about 1-2cm after the wheel had been knocked and on disassembly, I found the circlips had been dislodged from their grooves, allowing the shaft to move. On examination, the circlips looked the wrong size as they were very easy to dislodge. I therefore replaced with new ones from Simplybearings and have had no issues since.
Cheers,
Peter

Attachments

• whitlock_1984_1989_constellation_100_classic.pdf
    689.1 KB · Views: 129
Hi Peter,

Thanks, I now understand tha Steve's issue is fore and aft play, whereas I was thinking of rotational play.

His steering is still missing the wheel brake, which looks the same on both the 400 and the 100 models, and Cliff is the go to guy to find a replacement.

Peter.

Back