Non Boat Specific Survey and Sea Trial

Michael Stocks

Temporary Member
Hi, I've been to view a Moody and it's just what I've been looking for. The owner found it odd that I've requested a sea trial of the boat... To me a survey and sea trail of any boat over circa. £20K is pretty normal. Anyway after some back and forth it's looking very difficult to get a sea trial due to limitations on the hoist in the boat park (requires spring tides). I like to keep an open mind, so wondered what others thought. For a bit more detail the boat is 1994 336 been very well kept and the engine has very low hours. I just feel it's a big risk for me to buy a boat without seeing the engine run, check through hull fittings, depth sounder etc..

A sea trial is less usual I would think, however, a survey to check the state of the boat is usual. I have bought and sold boats on the hard - the performance of the boat can be assumed by the class - if you want an engine run and check this can be done whilst ashore.

If you are worried that the seacocks are not seaworthy then I suspect there may be bigger problems!

IMHO the only way to test an engine before you buy is a sea trial. Main bearings, big end bearings, overheating etc will only be found whilst under a proper load. Trying to do this on the hard is impossible. Running the engine under load whilst tied up may not show some problems up because the prop tends to slip so the engine is not put under the same stress as underway.

David.

Thanks for the responses - I'm not worried about anything with the boat and would not have put an offer in if I was! As I said it's in great condition and I'm more than happy with how she will sail etc... I just think this is a large amount of money to part with without seeing the engine run under load and be 100% that she's watertight beneath the waterline etc... Maybe I'm too conservative for the used boat market :)

You don't say how old the boat is. The age of the engine and how it is maintained can make a big difference in a marine environment. Hours idling or running under little load can cause compression issues ( white smoke etc) due to cylinder glazing and the salt environment can cause corrosion issues so as Dave says, best to do a sea trial. If a surveyor sees it on the hard, he will simply say 'engine untested'. Spring tides really aren't that far apart.
Paul

You could always make an offer, subject to survey and sea trial. Survey gets done on the hard and you agree to go ahead to sea trial. Then, boat launched for sea trial and you take ownership immediately afterwards, if successful and subject to payment. No need to launch and recover.

Hi Michael, and welcome to the MOA,

I have bought expensive second hand boats without sea trial, trusting in the quality of the brand, but it certainly entails a risk. I have never bought an expensive boat without a survey. I regard it as routine to ask for a price reduction from my offer for any faults the surveyor finds which the vendor did not disclose up front. If I have any doubts about the engine, I would ask for a sea trial.

You may well be more risk averse than me and that's fine, there is no reason you should follow my habits. If you want a survey and a sea trial, I feel the vendor should facilitate these for you at your expense or lose the sale and look for another buyer. As Rob says, it's not long to wait for a spring tide. On our last purchase, the vendor agreed to commission the boat at his expense and rectify any faults revealed by the survey or the commissioning process but, in return, we agreed to pay him his asking price.

I don't believe you should let the vendor push you into doing a deal you are not comfortable with.

Peter.

Thanks again to everyone for their input here! This forum is a huge part of why I've chosen to get a Moody - always great advice! I've decided to take a leap of faith due to the superb condition of the boat and was probably being overly cautious. Hopefully the owner has not had enough of me and accepts my amended offer :)

Get a survey and do a sea trial is my advice. If shes got in mast reefing check it operates easily, more conveniently done at sea. When i was looking for a M38 one had main furling that was so stiff that the furling line was so stretched so that it was no longer a round profile but flat like a tape. Another had the reefing gear in bits and the owner was finding it difficult to get it sorted.

Back